Friday 6 August 2010

Enjoyment rules, ok!

Here is a post for Joan, a photo of the plaque in the Wordsworth garden, and one of the family gravestones at the church. Perhaps you remember these Joan, from your visit.


Thank you for your comments, about how it is better to walk at a steady pace so you have time to enjoy your surroundings. I would just like to mention though that not all forum members walk at a fast pace. As with any sport or leisure activity there are always people who want to push themselves further, to climb higher, walk faster, and walk further. In the Lake District it is all about ticking off the Wainrights, up and down as many peaks as you can, and as quick as you can.
I should have maybe asked on the forum what pace they were going to go, then I could have decided whether I wanted to join them or not. I'll know next time.
I like to set myself little goals. Maybe I should try for something more demanding, then you get the bigger rewards, leading to a greater feel good factor. I would have to enjoy what I was doing though, and not just be going through the motions. It has always been a priority of mine to enjoy. If I don't enjoy what I am doing then I stop doing it, makes sense to me.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same philosophy. Enjoy what you do and enjoy for as long as you can. `Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you`re gonna get.' Now who said that? I think it was Forest Gump, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The speed of different people is a problem with walking in groups. And I think some people like to show off a bit. I once witnessed our local ramblers group climbing a lake District hill and there were people at the back in real agony whilst the leader was away over the hill somewhere. You have to pick your walking partners carefully! It takes a while. Good leaders will cope with it, though, and fast people just have to stay under control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely have come to the conclusion that life is much too short to spend time doing things you don't like (after all we don't always have the choice anyway, do we?). My sainted Mother-in-law makes her life (and ours) a misery by insisting on a strict regime, including a very early start, when all we want out of semi-retirement is he odd lie-in and eat meals when you feel like it. It's a power thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right, Mike, it's a keep up with the boys thing, look at me, I'm fitter than you. No one wants to be the first to say I'm struggling. I dont see women leading a group of sweating, panting men. First in the pub after a walk could have something to do with it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.