Thursday 26 April 2012

Bin a bit crafty

The weather has been terrible today, thunder storms and lots of rain, no point in going out anywhere. A good day to make something. Here we have the bottom bit from an electric shredder, the motor bit gave up the ghost and was chucked in the recycle skip at the council dump. So what can I do with this odd shaped plastic bucket?

First draw round the sides and bottom and make templates.

Then cut out the pieces in fabric, adding a bit for the seams. Sew it all together, and you have a posh waste paper bin for the office.

I was going to put a black fabric liner inside but decided I didn't need to. Instead I added an extra strip and stuck it down on the inside with some heavy duty double sided very sticky tape.

Repurposing I think they call it. Making something new out of something old.

17 comments:

  1. Love the fabric you picked for you bin MQ.
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're getting very posh in yer old age LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use a bin like this to store rolls of cling film and foil, to stop them falling over in the larder. But it's not as posh as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got one that is like fine wire, that served the same purpose. However, I've just got it tucked under my desk with magazines in. You can't see it so I've not bothered doing anything with it. Yours looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sew a button on but I couldn't sew all that together. Very nice bit of recycling, and repurposing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks really smart! True recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I happen to have one of these under my desk at work too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love anything pink and fixing up odd things, taking them from plain to pretty. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooops, Linda here. I was going to ask what kind of fabric it is. I wondered if you had made a pillow or something from it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a coincidence - the motor on my shredder burned out two days ago, and I kept the bottom for a bin - never thought of re-covering it though, nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hay Ilona That looks really cool !!! regards Jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have 'bin' busy! Cheers Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fancy bin! Nice work, Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's too pretty to use :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm loving this idea, and the fabric is gorgeous. I am very much NOT a 'pink' person, but I could happily live with this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have used the bottom of my shredder as storage in my bathroom for bottles of bleach and cleaning sprays. Recently gave my sewing machine away and regretting it now that i have seen what you have done.

    midlands annie

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.