Sunday 26 February 2017

All mapped out

Hello. An early phone call this morning had me out dog walking Bailey. His owner has a problem with her back, she can't walk very far, and I stepped in so she could rest. I did a second walk after lunch. A couple more days and she should be on the mend and able to do it herself. 
It's been a blustery day today, apparently we have storm Ewan now, I wonder who chose that silly name. 
Here are the maps for my next walk, it looks a long way from Newcastle to the Humber Bridge. I've done this one before but it will be a different route this time. I won't be following the coast, I shall be going through Durham, Darlington, Northallerton, Thirsk, York, Market Weighton, and Beverley. That's the theory anyway, nothing is set in stone I shall make it up as I go along. 
I'm not even sure if I can do it, it's been a couple of years since I last did a long one, and I am getting on a bit now. The 1000 mile challenge has been good practice, kept my stamina up, but I expect there will be some muscle ache somewhere along the way.

I'm gathering a few things together, need to keep my rucksack weight down. The train ticket is bought, the hotel in Newcastle is booked, and the cat/house sitter is organised. I'm looking forward to going off on my travels again, I missed it last year. No timetable, go where I please, stop start when I feel like it. The freedom of the road beckons me.

Thanks for popping in. we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

20 comments:

  1. Ilona i think you would love a simple campervan, would like one myself but the price!! i know some people just buy a van and throw a bed in the back, myself would like something halfway. On the road with my doggy.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a grand time, and enjoy your first big walk in a while. Looking forward to seeing your snaps.
    p.s. Ewan isn't silly, it's Scottish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought it's just a bit odd how someone chooses a name for a hurricane .

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to reading of your latest adventures. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy getting the map out and looking where we've been and deciding where to go next. A trip to the coast soon for a night stay. I'd love to have 2-3 weeks to go somewhere. Pack the car and head out and come back hopefully rested. So much beauty in this world to see and photograph. Enjoy your time away. I know alot of people that hike through hill to see waterfalls and it's just not something I do physically. I enjoy short hikes. Walking is fun. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoy the journey!
    I always enjoy your sharing.
    Your walks are what started me following your blog several years back,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you go on these adventures! Have you read the book "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed? The movie was terrible, but the book wasn't bad. I learned some ways to keep your pack weight down, make sure your boots are the right size, and some other comfort items to pick up. I know you do this from time to time and probably have it all down to a science, but it's an easy read if you're interested. I can't wait to read about your adventure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read about it once you've returned. It sounds like a great time to me and I hope that you enjoy it more than you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a good time, look forward to reading all about your walk when you return home!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun! I just got back from three weeks on the road with my sister along for some of it. I put 4,400 miles on my car. I could go again, if money were no object. It's nice to get away from the everyday sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your new walking expedition. Hope the weather is nice with you. Love following your walking travels.Can't wait to read the first reports and see the photos. Take care and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi

    So what are good names for storms??

    Hayley?

    Lorraine?

    Misty?

    Torrance?

    Wendy?

    Is there just one public servant responsible for the names or do they form a committee>

    Cheers Marie



    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds such a lovely holiday for you, Ilona; have a really great time!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting-I'd take dried fruit,nuts,eggs and arnica. Rock on Ilona x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's brave and exciting that you are going on this walk, you should write a book for posterity, you never know, it might not be there in a few years time. Keep posted and keep safe, enjoy your travels Ilona. Wow, I was surprised at what people throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I suppose the last one was doris, this one is ewan, someone has a baby name book and is working through the alphabet ? :) Julie T

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw that someone suggested a campervan for you, if you google it there is lots of information on how to convert one yourself. That I would love to see, I am sure you would come up with something extremely artistic using recycled stuff, a sort of mobile summer house. Good luck with planning your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like fun travels :) Hope you have a great time. Good bargains. My favorite price s free.
    That is nice of you to walk Bailey.
    Enjoy the holiday.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.