Friday 24 February 2017

Discovering Thixendale and Wharram Percy

Hello. I've had a belting day out with my walking buddies, Paul and Paul. Storm Doris has gone and we enjoyed a mostly sunny day with hardly any wind. Paul organized the route and the other Paul did the driving. We went over the Humber Bridge into Yorkshire, and parked at a village called Birdsall, not far from Pocklington. The Yorkshire Wolds have lovely walks, up hill and down dale, gentle undulating hills. We set off along The Centenary Way. 
It wasn't long before we arrived at the tiny hamlet of Thixendale, which boast the title of the most remote village in the Yorkshire Dales. It lies in a deep valley and is only one street long.

Thatched cottage.

Ooh, look a village shop, the two Paul's had to wait while I went inside to have a look.

It's in the conservatory at the rear of someone's house. A lady came out to serve me and I bought us all a flapjack each. 

This is the Village Hall, they serve coffee and cakes on Sundays.

Typical of the houses in this area.

Out of Thixendale we followed the Centenary Way, through DeepDale to Wharram Percy. 
Here are the remains of a deserted medieval village. View of the church as we approach it.

There is a fishing pond down below.


Time for lunch, lucky to find a bench to sit on in the sun. 
A little exploration around the church.




As you can see from the information board it was quite a large settlement. Just the foundations are left now.

We followed what looked to be an old railway line, there were ruins of old buildings hidden in the undergrowth.

Where shall we go next, I don't know you've got the map. 
We were on our way back to Birdsall when I spotted a couple of big hairy cows with horns in a field. 
Birdsall Church stands high on a hill, the picture isn't so good because the sun was right behind it.

Snowdrops everywhere, so pretty.

It was a smashing walk. We did twelve miles, so that's given my February numbers a boost. I'm aiming for the 100 again hopefully.

If you want to know more about Thixendale and Wharram Percy, the Happy Hiker has done a post on his web site about his walk in the area, with pictures similar to mine.

We're at the weekend again, I hope it's a good one for you. I shall be pottering and thinking about my walking trip. Checking maps, and gathering bits and bobs for my rucksack, trying to keep the weight as low as I can.

Thanks for popping in, and thanks for your great comments. I see there are a lot of new readers and first time comments, welcome to you all.
Toodle pip

30 comments:

  1. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Thanks a lot. Mak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was an awesome day out! Go you. Thank you for sharing.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful walk, Ilona. Thanks for sharing it with us. Spring is a long way off here in northern Canada, but the sunshine grows stronger every day. The cow looks like a highland breed of cow from Scotland. Thought you might like to google that. They are heavy set and shorter than most cattle here, and the shaggy coats are perfectly suited for windy, cold weather. Mary Jane in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great day out.I wondered if it was a bit like where Hannah Hauxwell lived.I thought she was a wonderful woman.Beautiful views.Love churches.Popped in one once not a ruin though ,for a look and quick pray and there was a beautiful butterfly trying to get out the stained glass window.Managed to release it.And lucky you Ilona 2 men. x(and thanks for sharing photos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and I'm pleased to say that Hannah Hauxwell is still with us at the age of 90!
      Jules

      Delete
    2. Hannah lives in the Yorkshire Dales, which is similar to the Wolds. Both beautiful areas. Gods own country as they call it.

      Delete
    3. Hannah died in 2011. She was an amazing character. SueM

      Delete
    4. According to Wikipedia Hannah is still alive. Born 1st August 1926, she is now 90 years old.

      Delete
    5. yes, I saw Hannah on Calendar news celebrating turning 90 last year, she lives in a care home now. Lovely lady. She lived a very frugal life, was quite a poet and musician. Coincidentally, her birthday is 'yorkshire Day'.

      Delete
    6. I am so pleased about that, I googled her and it said she died in 2011. I am reading her book to a disabled/partially sighted neighbour
      at the moment and she asked me to find out if she was still alive. I will give her the good news! SueM

      Delete
  5. Love the pictures! Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely walk. I especially enjoyed those snowdrops. I do think you are much safer on these long walks with your two buddies. Take care dear Ilona.

    SandyExpat

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely day and great photos. Best to you. Twelve miles is a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a very lucky lady, to see so much on a walk. I live in beautiful Alberta and I do enjoy my walks. The birds are starting to wake up. I hear them, but they are hiding. It's wonderful watching the world wake up from its winter's sleep.I have a dream of walking your country on day,maybe I'll bump into you.That would be a thrill.😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just had a lovely walk with you, you describe it so well. Bet the flapjacks tasted lovely.
    I shall be glad when I can get out walking again but must be patient.
    Have a good weekend.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hazel. The flapjacks were massive, 80p each and lovely.

      Delete
  10. Looks a lovely walk Ilona. Glad you got good weather. Winter walking is super when the weather plays ball isn't it.
    Well done in your monthly total. You beat me again :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fabulous walk and lovely pictures! That definitely looks like a place I would visit.
    Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely walk Ilona, in fact we have done 8 miles of it several times including last November with our walking group and guess where we sat to have lunch? It doesn't seem to matter to me if walks are repeated as they change according to the season, which way round you do it and the weather! Thanks for reminding me of a good day out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful area, wouldn't mind living there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How did you come to have walking buddies as you used to walk alone? Just wondered as I know that you used to say you enjoyed the solitude and being able to do what you wanted. Good to have someone with you though in case you got into any difficulties. Great photos again

    Kind regards Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi annie. I used to walk Paul's two black labs, Ollie and Alfie, I have known him for a few years. The other Paul is married to my good friend Janet who looks after my cats when I am away. Both cat and dog lovers. We only walk together about three times a year, due to Paul still working.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I wondered how you had gone from being alone to acquiring not one but 2 male walking partners. I was going to ask how you did it ha! ha!

      Delete
  15. What a lovely walk. I've never commented on your blog before, but I'm a regular visitor and you really do inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've just sent us looking to find out where in the country your lovely walk is so that we can perhaps visit if we get a chance. Great blog! From another regular reader who has only just started to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great walk Ilona. One of the things I love about blogs is that I get to see pictures of, and read about places I didn't know existed or were so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I long, I love that area.Son once fell in that pond. He smelled evil haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely walk. I've never visited that area but it is one of the many places I'd like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice walk and I enjoyed the photos of the buildings! I had to laugh when you said both Pauls "had to wait while I went into the shop!" That would be me as well. Never know what you may find! Happy trails to you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So pretty! I can't get over the grass being green! It was in the 80s (Fahrenheit) one day last week and we STILL have brown dried-up grass. Though the daffodils and some of the ornamental flowering trees are bloooming. Sandi in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.