Wednesday 12 September 2018

Scotland Day 1

The BIG reveal, this is where I have been. I wrote a series of posts, to be published after I returned home. 
I had an invite from friends in Scotland, it's about time you came and visited us they said. Oooh yes please, said I. I decided to drive up, it's a long way. My route was over the Humber Bridge, Market Weighton, York, Thirsk, Northallerton, A1 north to Scotch Corner, across the 66 to Penrith, north on the M6 to Carlisle, onto the M74, Glasgow, Stirling, Perth, and tonight I am at Pitlochry. I had two breaks, and have done 340 miles.
I left the A9 to look for a bed, and saw a sign pointing off left up a driveway. When I saw the building I thought this is going to be expensive, but it wasn't. £47 for B & B. 
It's a beautiful old building, full of old fashioned charm and character.




Check out their web site. Fasganeoin Country House.

After I booked in I went a walk into the town, and along the river.


I took this photo from the top of the dam, looking down on the River Tummel.

This footbridge had lots of padlocks fastened too it. Very strange. There must be a story behind it.



It was a lovely sunny day, I think Summer has come back. I might be lucky and have good weather for this holiday. ilona

16 comments:

  1. Hi Ilona Just to say the locks are placed there by couples pledging their love. Sometimes they have names or initials scratched into them. They lock the padlock up then throw the keys into to river as a symbol of staying together forever. Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the bridges in Paris had so many of these locks that the authorities took them off to stop the bridge from being compromised

      Delete
    2. Exactly. It was on Le Pont des Arts. Claude from Paris

      Delete
  2. Wow, looks like you've been on a great adventure, but you deserve it! looking forward to seeing more about your latest holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Scotland! What a shame you arrived after the weekend. You just missed the Perth Yarn Festival. Try and visit the Salmon Ladder, it's fascinating. The idea of the padlocks on the bridge was started in Paris, which I think has now banned the practice because they ran out of bridges, I think. Have a restful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We was when we want France they had lots of locks and I like the idea.
    Did you see the salmon jumping at Pitlochry! I stayed at Loch Tummel it was a wonderful holiday. The flowers are beautiful.
    Have a lovely time.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great B and B. I am intrigued what the padlocks on the bridge are all about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pleased you had a holiday away. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely place and lovely photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely building and fantastic furniture!.So well kept and loved over the years.This is just the sort of thing I love.In lovely surroundings too...just my sort of place to stay!xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You needed a break Ilona... just the tonic. Loving the pictures in the hotel rooms bit like a time warp.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to my homeland Ilona-you passed my hometown on the M74.We will be visiting Pitlochry next month for the Enchanted Forest light festival. Looking firward to seeing where you visit next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha ha, I don't think you fooled anyone Ilona ! you never stop doing something, so 'me time' just didn't ring true ! looks like a lovely place, great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the padlocks are boyfriend/girlfriend tokens of love. Made a pact to be together! Enjoy your trip to Scotland. A LOT of driving!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.