Monday 24 September 2018

Something borrowed, something a bit blue.

This is something I saw a couple of months ago at the Embroiders Guild exhibition. A pebble covered in felt and embroidery. I thought I would borrow the idea and have a go at making something similar. 
This is my version. I have covered small rings with thread and filled them in, used sequins and beads, and added lots of French knots.  
Oooops, can see some cat hairs on this close up.




I'm pleased with how it has turned out. Breakfast next, then off to Crafty Club, after I have walked Bailey poodle, then coffee with Angela. Busy Monday.   ilona

PS. Edit, how I did it.
Find a suitable stone, roundish, flatish, no sharp edges.
Choose a piece of felt in the colour you like. Not too thick as it has to mould itself to the shape of the stone. It needs to be bigger than the stone, to wrap around it, almost meeting at the back.
Collect small bits and bobs that you want to include. Sew on the biggest first, keep checking that you have positioned them in the right place by placing the felt over the stone and scrunching it up at the back.
Then carry on adding smaller bits, sequins, beads, or whatever. You might like to do different embroidery stitches. I filled in the gaps with French knots. Cover as much of it as you want to.
When it is how you want it, put the stone in the centre of the felt, trim up the edges, do running stitches around the edge, and pull the thread to gather it tight. Manipulate the gathers with your fingers to flatten them, lace up the centre, stitching across the gap in all directions. Add a small circle of felt to cover the stitching. Easy peasy, have a go.

26 comments:

  1. LOL - our pets do add some interesting details to our projects, do they not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so clever! I love the colours you have chosen. Do you cover the pebble with felt first or embroider the felt and then attach it?
    I'd think the latter was easier to do but that it would be difficult to predict exactly where the circles would fall.
    Do you use any extra padding under the felt layer?
    Sorry for all the questions but the more I thought about it the more questions came to mind.
    I also wondered how to stretch it without shredding the felt. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Answers at the bottom. No extra padding, embroider first then cover, manipulate the shape when covering but don't pull it that tight to tear it.

      Delete
  3. Yours is beautiful- much nicer than the one that inspired you

    Everything looks better when covered with cat hair.....
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be pleased to see how you see how you done it, it is really very pretty and I like they way you put your name at the back. I have really enjoyed about your holiday.

    It is a looking as thou it will be a nice day..
    Have a nice day at the crafty club.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona for taking the time of showing us how to do the pretty pebbles.
      Hazel c uk

      Delete
  5. Hi Ilona,
    The covered pebble looks just beautiful, I love the colours. I love the sound of your busy Monday. I’ll be at work 😩 only 15 years to go😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely piece of crafting Ilona.I dont think that I would have the patience to do something like that!The colours go beautiful together and I would love to hold it and feel the texture on it.I know what you mean about cat hairs getting on things,everything I put down my cats have to sit or lay on!.Well today is one of those days where I dont know where to start first,so Im going to give myself half hour reading blogs,then crack on...ha ha!.It would help if I didnt have Tiara,my big furry cat draped over my knees fast asleep.I hate disturbing her!xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful. I've never seen anything like that before.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Ilona. Have you had that thing where you live where people have left painted stones for others to find? This is far too nice though to leave out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have covered that in a previous blog post.

      Delete
  9. They are fabulous and sparking my imagination. I don't know what I would use it for though.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decoration, ornament, paper weight, pretty to look at.

      Delete
  10. Oh my, how pretty. That is something I would enjoy making

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely, I’ve seen one in neutrals on calico but Ido like your colourful version, and your instructions are easy to follow too. It would make a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What can I say apart from it is beautiful. What a talented lady you are! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it much better than the "original", for some reason. Yours really catches my eye and makes me smile. The other seems bland....

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful. A bigger one would make a fabulous doorstop.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really beautiful-looking forward to having a go at that-it's a project that's not too big x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous Ilona. I love the colours you have used.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ilona - I thought the original stone was beautiful but I prefer your more colourful one. Many thanks for the short descriptive tutorial - it's another craft to put on my 'to do' list. And thanks for sharing all your photo's of your trip to Scotland - I enjoyed reading what you got up to every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is so beautiful. well done . Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful. I have done something similar using a wet felting method. That way you have no gathers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought they were really fancy berets at first glance. I think the same technique might be used on hats.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.