Wednesday 22 July 2020

Don't read this while you are eating.

Hello. A delicate subject today, feel free to scroll by if this does not appeal to you. Talking about bodily functions while camping. Where do you pee and poo. I have this Porta Potti which went inside my tent next to the car. Some campsites will have their own toilet facilities, but they are not all open at the moment. 
I bought this potti new about 30 years ago. It has come with me on one house move and has been stored under my stairs for the past 22 years. I used it for a while when I lived in a small caravan close to my work. I could have possibly given it away when I didn't use it any more, but then I thought who would want it? It was easier to keep it, and I'm glad I did.  
I know that my bodily functions are regular, by that I mean I need to poop every morning. Once it's done that's it for the day. When I am out walking I can pee behind a hedge. I am a firm believer that what you put in at the top dictates the consistency of what comes out at the bottom, and the speed you have to dash to the nearest convenience. Planned poos are better than emergency poos. If you eat processed foods, especially meat, ready meals, takeaways, and what I call mucked about dirty food, on a regular basis, and drink too much alcohol, you will pebble dash your toilet, and maybe once a day will not be enough. 
At the other end of the scale you might get bunged up and the call to go could happen at any time. Sitting around a lot bungs up the bowels, moving will loosen things up. I prefer to be like clockwork so I eat sensibly, mostly fresh vegetables, salads, nuts and seeds, and fruit, with the odd treat of naughty food. 
So how does this toilet work. It goes in the tent next to the car. I always have a coffee to start the day. Within an hour or two, sometimes sooner, I need to go. The potti has two parts. In the top goes clean water which is used to flush it. No electricity needed, it is a push pump action. 

In the bottom goes the chemical, and some water, pour it in. The smell is ok, not at all chemically. If you position your bum in the exact correct spot and hold the hatch open through to the bottom tank, your doings can drop straight through without touching the sides. That's as long as it's the right consistency. I know, too much information. Shut hatch when finished and it can stay in there for a day or two with the chemical doing it's stuff and breaking it down. There is no poo smell at all. 
This is the bottom tank which will need emptying.
I bought this toilet fluid at Go Outdoors for £7. It's going to last for ages. 
Instructions on the back on how much to use. You can put some in the top tank with the water if you so wish.

When it comes to emptying it has a carrying handle, the contents will not leak out however you carry it. Turn the outlet round, unscrew the cap, and tip into a designated disposal unit at the camp site. You could possibly take it home and put it down your own toilet. The label on the container says it is suitable for home use. 

There are other methods of organising your toilet requirements, the bucket and chuck it for instance. But I do recommend using the proper chemical to kill all smells. I have seen pictures of a sturdy bucket with a rim placed over the top made with pipe insulation slotted over it to soften the sharp edge. Some use a swimming pool spaghetti floaty thing. I won't go into the sitting with your bum over a log in the wood and burying it method. There are plenty of yooootooob videos covering that. 
Anyway, that's all for now. Time for lunch, then I'll go and do my local walk. Thanks for popping in.  Toodle pip. ilona

20 comments:

  1. You mistakenly assume that pooping on time is something people can control. Maybe they can, but not me. When i was born Mama said i pooped a teeny bit with every pee. She said she never changed a wet diaper without having what she termed a "goat pill" with it. This has continued to this day. No change in diet or activity affects this bodily function. I do like your little camping commode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modern motorhomes have much the same system but fitted into a shower room. The new ones have wheels and a handle, on the cassette, like a pull alone suitcase. For the less able. We have used these toilets for months at a time and would recommend them. The chemicals are expensive especially when you buy six at a time before setting off for the winter in Spain, but they are very good and last. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have them on narrow boats as well, to be emptied at specific points along the canal. I find it strange that they call them cassette toilets.

      Delete
  3. When we used to camp as a family of 5 I used to see all the dads/husbands emptying their toilets - never the ladies doing it! As we had little ones, we had a small toilet tent with a loo similar to yours - a godsend in the middle of the night. I couldn't risk camping now - I have big bowel problems caused by Metformin medication however if I avoid eating rubbish I can alleviate this problem. As it is, I'm on the toilet up to 4 times a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hired a beach hut a few years ago and that had a porta potti in it. It was really handy as there were no toilets nearby and the local cafe made you purchase something in order to use theirs. We had one stipulation no number 2's, they were strictly for the toilet. We could empty it down the tap drain that had a lift up grate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find a real toilet for number 2's that's better.

      Delete
  5. I do remember a 'Nellie Know It All' guest post about 'pebble dashing' and why one's diet may not be helping. The chemical loo looks brilliant and I hope that you go on more camping trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Nellie ran off with a Spanish waiter, never to be seen again.

      Delete
  6. oh Ilona, you made me laugh with today's subject. I was actually interested in how your porta potty works.Looks like a good bit of kit. Now you have tried out your camper-car you can look forward to some more outings this summer. Ever tried organic toilets. We used them on a campsite in Dorset. Ok.Don't smell either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing worse than wanting to crap and nowhere to go. It can make you ill if you hold it.

      Delete
    2. I agree Ilona.I have this problem on a Sunday and I think its the amount of dancing I do and Guinness I drink on a Saturday night...I dont go far on Sundays,lol,xx

      Delete
    3. Your reply Ilona mate me laugh out loud!

      Delete
  7. Interesting and helpful post - I didn't enjoy camping when we were younger because of the bathrooms or lack thereof. And I don't enjoy long car rides for the same reason, especially now that so much is closed due to the virus. I'm always happy to learn new ways of dealing with "elimination on the go", so to speak :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to have one of those porta pottys when I had my caravan.It was sited in a field...the caravan not the porta potty,lol..and although it was a big caravan,it didnt have a toilet.These are brilliant for in the night!.Although I had the job of empty and clean it every day...I think my hubby thought that the campsite fairies used to do it!xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've wondered how these things work and if any smells - thanks for your detailed information - I shall wonder no more haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ilona, you WILL write about anything, LOL. But now that I'm past 70 (a little farther past than you are) I will, too! Sounds like a great camping trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some aspects of my personal life which I will not write about, but hey, everybody poops.

      Delete
    2. Im not sure if the Queen does Ilona,xx

      Delete
  11. Hi Ilona, have just caught up on your camping adventure as we have also been away on our first trip since lockdown to Mal...vern not Mal...ton! Saw our sons which was wonderful! We had some lovely walks by the Severn and the Avon meeting virtually no-one by the time we had walked a few hundred yards from the car park. As you found, there is something special about walking near water.
    The campsite you visited looks great and your ingenious arrangements worked well. Were the site loo and shower allowed to be open or was it a case of 'own san essential'? (I think your own would be preferable anyway at the moment!)
    (Un)fortunately, other half hasn't been able to find the camper van he wants, so that (eye-wateringly expensive) idea is on hold for the moment. Vicki back in the East Riding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Vicks. The camp site owner told me on the phone that the toilet and shower block would not be open. I think that was more about their choice rather than they are not allowed to open it. Some camp sites have opened theirs, but they need regular cleaning, so need staff to do that. A small place might not have the time and people, especially if they are running a busy farm as well.

      A decent camper van is very expensive, I have looked but it's not affordable to me. Also I have nowhere to park it, I would have to pay for storage.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.