Monday 13 July 2020

New camera arm...prototype 2

I have been searching high and low for a small hinge so I can cut the coat hanger into two pieces and make it foldable. But no luck, I can't find one small enough. I've got bigger hinges but nothing the width of a coat hanger. 

Then I found a long screw that isn't really a screw because it has a flat end. Must be a part made specifically to assemble a piece of furniture. Anyhow I tried this in the bottom of the camera and low and behold it was a perfect fit, the thread must be an exact match. This is better than the other screw which only went in a little way, and wasn't really safe. 
My idea was to drill the hole in the coat hanger a bit bigger so that this new screw could secure the two things together. But then I still had the long coat hanger arm to contend with. 
Another search through my junk box and I found a chrome handle. I remember buying two of these years ago when I made a cart to push around and sell my wares in the town centre. I was going to become a pedlar selling hand made soap. I built a smashing cart, but it didn't happen, I changed my mind. 
Using one of these handles might work. By jove I think this might be better. The long screw is fixed tight into the handle so it won't swivel. 

I know the camera isn't as far away from me but maybe it's better because I won't have to talk so loudly for the microphone to pick up my voice and my arm won't ache so much. I can have a firm grip on the handle so that might help to keep it steady. 
It's brain numbing this inventing lark, but it's fun.
I have two tents, and I only need one, so yesterday I set them both up on the lawn to compare and decide which one I want to keep. The bigger one is about 35 years old, a ridge tent which is a bugger for one person to put up. I used it a few times. The smaller one is newer, I bought it at a car boot sale a few years ago for £10, it is much easier for one person to put up. I will keep this one. So I put the bigger one on our facebook page, for sale. someone is picking it up later. This is part of my de cluttering strategy, not keeping hold of something I no longer need or use. 
Cheerio for now. Toodle pip.   ilona

8 comments:

  1. I am gradually getting rid of loads of stuff that I no longer need. I don't want to go into schools and teach anymore so all my craftable junk can be disposed of. I would far rather use the space for things I will use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work on the camera arm, looks to be easier to hold. Tents can be more trouble than they're worth if too difficult to put up especially on your own, it's a sure way to not enjoy camping if you get put off by a difficult start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean with the tents.We used to have what I called our Carry On Camping tent,plenty of room in it once it was up but we had to bring the army in to help us set it up,lol.Very 1960s,but we did have some great holidays in it!.Them we up graded and bought a caravan that was sited on a quiet field about 10 miles away.We used to love going there as well.With all the holidays abroad we used to go on,that I got to hate in the end,lol..my little local holiday home was the place I loved best of all!!Im all excited for you planning your trip!!,Where as at the moment,we in Lockdown Leicester cant plan anything.We cant even go to the next village!.Im also well chuffed for you with getting your camera sorted.You have got many happy days to come!,xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love inventing, mending or repurposing things. I have an oil fired heater on casters, but one caster broke. I didn't like to move it because I was worried it would scratch my wooden flooring. Went past the allotment bonfire and there was a piece of wood waiting to be broken up to burn and there was a lovely caster on the end. When I got home it was the wrong size. A little bit of brute force and I manage to take it apart. Not to easy a feat for a person my age who broke her fingers in a fall many years ago. Lo and behold the old broken caster, and the new, married together and now I can't tell which is the repaired one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done. It pays to keep your eyes open for any old junk that is lying around, it may become useful for repairing something.

      Delete
    2. I love old castors,,I have got about 3 in my stash of bits and bobs.Some times you just know what to hang on to.I love old 60s style coffee table legs aswell and have a set of 4,that I have plans for,Hope that you have had a lovely day! xxx

      Delete
  5. Inventing things can be very satisfying. That looks good. Have you seen those walking programmes on tv with Shanaz Gulzar? I'm not so keen on her presentation style but she I envy her camera selfie arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't seen that, I don't have a TV. I will look it up. Thanks.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.