Tuesday 3 November 2020

A walk with memories

 Hello. It was a cracking day for a walk yesterday. I set off just after lunch to a free parking spot in South Ferriby, to do a walk I have done before. It was a trip down memory lane. Climbing up the hill out of the village, past the church, towards the quarry, it opens out with glorious views over River Humber. Over in the distance is the Cement Works, beyond that the river. Look at the next photo to spot the difference.  

It was eight years ago when I brought Rocky up here. Showing his new coat off, which I made from an umbrella. Rest in peace dear Rocky. 

A bit further along I zoomed in a bit. I worked at the cement works for seven years as a tanker driver. I read about a year ago that they were planning to mothball it. It looks like that has happened. Not much activity going on, no lorries in and out, car park closed, and the gates to the quarry where I am standing, are locked. 
It was very blustery, woolly hat and sun visor needed. The track is part of a long distance path, The Viking Way. 
After a good battering by the wind, which wasn't cold thank goodness, I turned right down a steep hill and came into the village of Saxby All Saints. The church looked splendid bathed in sunlight with a clear blue sky. It's a very photogenic church, I took three photo's from different angles and picked this one to show here. 
Aha, the red telephone box. Now it has a new roll. An indoor flower garden. The pansies  are in little window boxes and are accessible from the outside. 
I left Saxby down a lane, heading for lower ground to return to Ferriby via the New River Ancholme. I was expecting it wo be less windy here, but it wasn't. I had to put a jacket on, over the top of my body warmer, a fleecy top, a long sleeved T shirt, and a short sleeved T shirt. It was still sunny and dry, but started to cloud over as the wind got up. This is Saxby Bridge.
I had read somewhere that the council have done a lot of work laying a cycle and walking track alongside the river. Was I pleased to see this. I needed to speed up or I was in danger of running out of time. 
The ripples on the river had the swans bobbing about. Some grown up offsprings with grey feathers looking like they are almost ready to strike out on their own. 
Oh dear. The laid track stopped abruptly, I carried on along the grassy track. Now there  is water on my right, this is known as Weir Dyke, which runs parallel to the river. After plodding along there for over half an hour, slithering and sliding on the muddy parts, I was able to get off it at Horkstow Bridge. 
The sun is fading fast, able to get a couple of photo's of the bridge. 

Thankfully the cycle track came back into play and I was able to up my pace. It was dark when I emerged at the point where the river joins the road, and runs into the Humber at Ferriby. Ten minutes later I was back at my car. 
It was a smashing eight mile walk, I'm glad I made the effort to go. The weather is looking good. I need to go to the Post Office and a Billy walk is planned for this afternoon, so I am not going far today. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

25 comments:

  1. Thank you a lovely read along with the photographes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post. We used to get the bendy-bus from York Interchange to Hull. It took in the airport and went past the cement works on the way .Turned around , then went to Hull. I remember the fields being white. Lovely picture of Rocky, ahhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of dust came from the quarry at the top, and the cement works at the bottom. The humming noise as well was relentless. When I worked there I lived in a caravan just up the road, near the river.

      Delete
  3. That bridge at Horkstow looks like the one at Stapenhill gardens, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love reading about all your waking adventures.i look forward to your pictures and rocky bless him .I can see you are a real animal lover they are such good companions I expect in his lifetime you gave him many lovley walks .keep up the good work we need a positive friendly face x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to see what it is like in your country. With your small villages you have so many nice places to go walking where there are no cars. I'll have to search for some of those here in the USA. Lovely photographs. I have an interest in photography also but I'm still an amateur. Have a good day. This is our election day in the US and they are expecting lots of protests and problems when the results are final. I'm just staying home in my apartment snug as a bug in a rug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do need to get another camera, been saying that for a while. My Cannon has a scratch on the lens, on some of the photo's it is obvious.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea for the phone box, and the photo of the church is stunning. Aw... Rocky... Bless his little soul. I bet you do miss him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss him a lot. He was something special.

      Delete
  7. I love that you made Rocky a raincoat from an umbrella! That is thinking outside the box and so very "you"!
    The old phone box looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos especial the one of Rocky and Telephone box.
    It seemed a lovely walk you had, I only managed a mile but it was nice, had a chat with a neighbour and picked up some apples somebody had but out to hooe yourself - so some nice stewed apple tonight.
    Hazel c uk ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŒˆ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your photos Ilona. I always enjoy seeing all the places you visit. God Bless little Rocky. I bet his spirit lives on in that lovely spot xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always reluctant to walk in places where Rocky was once by my side. Too painful. I have to get over it and remember the good times.

      Delete
  10. You really do have a fantastic eye for photography, the photo of the tree is fabulous.

    Love the photo of Rocky, arent dogs fantastic company on walks, my friends dog was a rescue, he is 16 now with lots of grey hairs but he still loves long country walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I particularly like the tree photo. I was ambling along at the time, enjoying the views on my right across the valley, when I thought, lets find a photogenic tree. Turn my head to the left, and there it was.

      Delete
  11. Eight miles!! I'm impressed and ashamed of myself for just reading about it but not getting out there myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An hour a day, put aside for walking, that's all it takes.

      Delete
  12. Lovely photos again Ilona although it made me nervous for you when I saw the dark starting to close in on the last 2!.And what a beautiful photo of Rocky!.As he lives on in your heart,Im sure he is with you on your walks.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time I got to the road, it was pitch black. I walked the last bit from memory.

      Delete
  13. The photo of ROCKY is so beautiful. He comes over as a very loving little dog and I do like his lovely coat. Like you Ilona I adore my fur babies very much like a walk when I can I have chronic arthritis and also am into frugality gardening and arts and crafts. We have a lot in common. Enjoy your day Ilona and thank you for your lovely posts. Love Liz Amy and old timer Ben.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pics i love the phone box idea and rip rocky. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic walk! Love the phone box with the flowers. What a good idea. Reminds me of the "Little Free Libraries" that we have everywhere it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful photo of Rocky. I know how sad you are about losing him, but you gave him a life that was full of love and care; something that he had never known up until then. x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.