Monday 9 November 2020

Simply spuds.

 Yesterday I ate some herby mini jacket potatoes, there are two portions in the vacuum pack. This morning it was easy to microwave the second portion and have them for breakfast. Very tasty, easy and quick to prepare. I get them from Aldi, they are handy to keep in the fridge.  

I've been getting on with some sewing. This afternoon I took Billy dog a walk, we went around the fishing pond. It's nice and quiet there. Two men were sitting next to their tents, they were enjoying a beer and having a natter. They said they had ordered some food to be delivered from the Chinese takeaway. What a good idea. I was tempted to fetch a chair and join them. 

I was given a red cabbage, I've never bought one before, cabbages are a bit too big for one person. I wasn't sure what to do with it, so I shredded some leaves and added vegetables to make a stew. It doesn't look very appetizing, but surprisingly it is very tasty. It's going to take me ages to eat the whole cabbage. As soon as I finished it I brushed my teeth. 

I'm getting a bit bored, all the days seem to be the same at the moment. Sewing, walking, gardening, computer, eating, and repeat. Need to come up with some new ideas. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.  ilona

16 comments:

  1. I pickle a jar of red cabbage every month. Just one so I can eat it fresh and crisp. My favourite pickle. All you need is salt, vinegar and a few peppercorns. Salt the red cabbage for 24 hours, then rinse and put in jar with 6 peppercorns and cover with vinegar. Eat after 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to eat pickled cabbage quite a lot. Sadly I can't now, if I want to keep the teeth that I have left.

      Delete
  2. You can freeze the cabbage before or after cooking. that way, you are not eating it forever. At Easter, you can dye eggs in the juice of the cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freezing sounds good. Maybe I could dye some fabric with the red juice.

      Delete
    2. Use a mordant so the color is fast.

      Delete
  3. I would be tempted to turn it into sauerkraut. It would be the prettiest colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum used to eat a lot of sauerkraut. I can't eat anything hard and crunchy, can't chew it.

      Delete
  4. Red cabbage goes nice in a winter coleslaw. I cook some in the slow cooker with red wine and either pears or apple it makes a delicious side and is a great one to freeze. Hope that hekps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some pears and will try that. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Red cabbages last for ages in the fridge if you wrap them well, so even though it's just me I do still buy them. I love them best in a homemade coleslaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will wrap it, thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear you are bored. I really hope with yesterday's announcement that we have reached a turning point back to normality. We can but hope. It sounds really selfish of me but I have really missed my holidays away this year.

    As for red cabbage its supposed to be a superfood, I make a big pan full of Delia's red cabbage and freeze it.

    I watched Nigella Lawson last night, she made a broth and served it over pasta she had boiled with shredded cabbage. It wasnt red but may be another idea.
    Can you believe in the very same programme she made a curry, with banana skins in it? Not sure its something I fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Onions (red if possible), red cabbage, brown sugar, red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar) and stew till soft. Delicious with cold meats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your meals always inspire! So colourful and healthy. I'm trying to get used to eating on my own, my hubby has just started a new job in the evenings, shift work. I'm not used to eating alone and it's so easy not to bother!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my favourite colder weather real Dutch meals is red cabbage stewed with appels, brown sugar and vinegar, served with potatoes and "hachee" = stewed beef with onions, brown sugar, vinegar, bay leaf, glove...
    Oh, I realize you don't do meat. Well, anyway, the red cabbage is a winter hit! And good for walkers ;>)
    Cheers,

    Jeanneke.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.