Saturday 14 November 2020

Bimbling around Manton

 Blue skies, a bit windy and no rain, was the cue for me to go for a walk yesterday. I drove to the village of Scawby. I have walked this area before, a long time ago. I set off down the road towards Greetwell. There is a shortage of footpaths around here so some road walking is inevitable. Passing Greetwell Hall, I turned left down a track towards Manton. Big open spaces, fields and disused quarries. There are some woods, but I tend to not wander into them because there's a good possibility that I might not find my way out. 

I was sorely tempted to sit on that bench for ten minutes, but decided not to. It was as windy as heck. Definitely a woolly hat day. 

I came into the village of Manton. Looking back through my blog I found a picture of this church taken in 2013. The first time I saw it, a few years before that, it had been abandoned and was in a state of disrepair. Pity I wasn't carrying a camera at the time. In 2013 some of the work had been done to turn it into residential accommodation. Here it is now, all done.  

They had to bulldoze a new entrance from the road. The garages and courtyard are separate from the main building. I would assume that was because the graves could not be disturbed. It looks magnificent now. There was no sign of life so I sat and ate my lunch on a pile of bricks. 

At the top of the hill coming out of the village this memorial looks like it hasn't been here for very long. 
From there on it was a matter of walking along quiet roads back to Scawby. I like the way they have carved these big logs. The phone box is empty, it hasn't been re purposed. 


The light is beginning to fade now, two last pictures before I get into my car and drive home. Scawby Church. 
The old school, now residential. 
My circular route was eight miles, going in an anti clockwise direction. 
My fridge is now stocked up again, I went to Aldi last night. It's three weeks since I last went. I picked up a few things when I got the cat food from Home Bargains, ten days ago, and Carol gave me some fruit and veg for walking Billy. I am getting used to this minimalistic way of shopping, only using two shops and only going when I need to. It suits me fine. 
Looking dull outside. Have a good weekend, whatever you are doing.  Toodle pip.   ilona

13 comments:

  1. I, too, have become a minimalist shopper, Ilona. Make a list, stick to it, in and out like a Ninja! We’ve just had a new Aldi open on the outskirts of my nearest town and I’m very impressed! Also, I love the word ‘bimbling.’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i do this too and i am lucky to have 2 Aldi and Lidl stores a short bus journey away. Great for choice and saving on food. Also i live within 10 mins of a Tesco store and Dealz which similar to Poundland in the UK. i and From Dublin Ireland.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos of your walk. have you ever been to Ireland? i live in Dublin and was born here. Some lovely walks and hikes to do here too which i enjoy when i can get out to enjoy them. We are restricted here with phase 5 lockdown till December first and i have free travel but bus services local ones have limited seating and the nation wide services are curtailed so i cannot wait to be able to travel further into our beautiful countryside and get out my county. I live alone with my 4 cats 3 are rescues and i don;t rive but there is a Tesco within walking distance of my home and Aldi Lidl a short bus journey away. I still some yellow sticker shopping but i am plant based vegan eating and i find it good that Tesco Aldi Lidl do a 6 fruit veg special for bout 49 cents. Its raining here so a quiet Saturday so far and the cats are sleeping. blessings to you all xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Ireland once, in a lorry. I lost a wheel on the way to the docks at Stranraer, still made it to my delivery point at Belfast. Didn't see much of it, straight there and back. I would like to go one day.

      Delete
    2. You would be very welcome would love to meet up with you if you do make it xx

      Delete
  3. Hi Ilona, greetings from stormy Wales! It's blowing a gale here and heaving down with rain! I was planning on going for a walk but I don't think I'll be doing that today, lol! I might try making some of that rope, I've got loads of offcuts I could use. Or maybe I'll just sit here and procrastinate! 🤣 Enjoy the rest of your day. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. While you are making your rope, maybe you could take a look at this. I have just watched it, and it is so important I may put it on the blog. The truth will come out.
      https://youtu.be/ZnpnBYgGARE
      I do a lot of procrastinating.

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes - I actually watched this last night! Fascinating stuff, from someone who is well qualified to talk on the subject. Good to see that the Great Barrington Declaration is gaining huge support from doctors and scientists all over the world, too. 👍

      Delete
  4. Good morning from USA. Love the photos. Those carved benches were amazing to see and so were the old stone buildings. I have always loved historical buildings and your country has older ones than the USA. Would love to come there one day. Sun is shining today and 52°. Gorgeous here. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the 2 poppy wreaths at the airfield memorial...
    Lest we forget!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos, a joy to read as always x

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day from Australia Its hot here, going to be 38C here. We're on a short road trip and in small town of Kimba.Love your photos and the beautiful old buildings
    Enjoy your day.


    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful carvings!.I love wood carvings and when we used to go to a village in Austria we would sit and watch an old guy who used to carve faces with hats on.You could buy them straight from him and over the years we have collected about 20 odd.Each one different expressions and some with a pipe in their mouths.We have had them for nearly 40 years hanging up at my Mams house.The walk that I have got planned today takes me by an old school very much like the one in your photograph.I think it is offices now.I have got my woolly hat ready because it is very damp and windy here in Leicester today.xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.