Sunday 15 November 2020

Making another rope.

 And the day turns into night once more. It's been a lovely afternoon, sunny but also bitter cold. I was well wrapped up when I took Billy dog for a walk. We saw lots of people all doing the same thing, walking dogs around the village, and couples walking without a dog. Cyclists and joggers were getting their daily exercise. It was nice to stop and chat to people. 

I wasn't too keen on how this rope was turning out, the colours were a bit lost within the twisting. In the videos the instructions are to go round and round in a zigzag stitch. I tried that but the needle was struggling to go through it, and it was difficult to hold it together as it was going through the machine. 

So I cheated and put some iron on stabiliser on the back, and stitched across it with straight lines. That made the job a bit easier. It is now a coaster. Not a very successful experiment. 

So now I am trying another one. This time the strips are 2.5 inches wide, instead of the one inch. I already had the pink strips, someone gave them to me, I cut up an old tablecloth for the white strips. This makes a thicker rope, it's easier, quicker, and not so fiddly. I think I will have enough to make a bowl. 


Now it's time to get the dinner on. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

7 comments:

  1. I may have to have a go at this, its really affective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you could make waste bins from them. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could. Use a metal or plastic bin as a pattern, make the bottom, then take it up the sides.

      Delete
  3. I think the coaster turned out very nicely, even though it wasn't originally meant to be one. The pink and white rope looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work again Ilona i love the coasters specially the pink and white one. Great idea for place mats and other crafts with old or left over material.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you had enough rope you could make rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat Illona. Love the first photo with the green in the weave -- just keep going with the circle and it will make a nice kitchen rug. This type of rug would be quite expensive to purchase.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.