Tuesday 26 March 2024

A look at Ashbourne.

Leaving Osmaston behind I came off the road and continued to Ashbourne along the Centenary Way, also known as Bonnie Prince Charlie Walk. It was quite muddy in parts. I crossed over the A52 bypass and found myself in a new housing estate, this is where the footpath signs disappeared. I asked the lady in the small grocery store which way to the town centre. She said none of the houses were there when she took over the shop, now she is surrounded. Good for business I thought, but not very aesthetically pleasing to the eye. 
I asked two ladies who seemed to be walking in the same direction as me down Spitalhill, am I going the right way for the town centre? We no, English one of them replied. Ok I thought, lets give this a try. With some hand gesticulations and me speaking slowly and simply, we managed to communicate a few basic pleasantries. They were from Ukraine and they were in their mid fifties. They pointed to my muddy boots and trouser bottoms, and laughed. The hill was pretty steep, at the bottom they went into Sainsbury's and I walked past the library into the town centre. 
I saw quite a few pubs, here are three of them. I also found a cheese shop and bought three of my favourite truckles. The Snowdonia Cheese Company have a good selection. I chose Cheddar with roasted garlic and herbs, Extra mature Cheddar, and Vintage Red Leicester.  


St Oswalds Church is just one of several in Ashbourne. The sun was in the wrong place for a good photo, so I went round the back for this one. 
Luckily the door was open so I was able to get more photo's inside. A man was practicing his organ playing so that gave it a nice ambience. 


One corner is set out as a shop, where you can buy gifts. 




I spent a good half an hour in there. Still more of Ashbourne to see. Then it was time to make my way back to the car. I took a slightly different route back for a couple of miles, then retraced my steps from Osmaston to Shirley. Couldn't resist taking this photo of a tree, with half of it missing. To me it looks like a sculpture. I spoke to a local resident. Apparently high winds had ripped off two of the main branches two years ago, one of which was left to lay on the ground. This tree signifies to me that no matter how much destruction one has to endure in life, there is always hope. It refuses to die. I would love to see it in blossom. 

So many places to explore. I hope to be out and about over the summer months. Something to look forward to. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.