Monday 25 March 2024

Walking to Osmaston.

The walk to Osmaston was very pleasant. I had a brief conversation with a young man who was loaded up with a very heavy backpack. I asked him if he was camping. He replied, yes, I started at Manchester and I'm walking to Leicester. Well done to him I thought. I could have done that a few years ago, but not carrying a load of camping gear. B & B's were my thing on long walks. 
The road from Shirley turns into a dirt track. This sign is outside the last house on the left. 
The green bits on the map are Shirley Park. When I approached it, I expected to see a lot of trees. The ground is looking very bare right now. I suppose when the new trees start growing it will fill out again. 


Continuing on towards Osmaston, it is an estate village. There is a small pond in the centre, and a really big lake on the edge of it. I passed by this derelict building. At first glance I thought it was an abandoned house. All the windows and doors have been permanently boarded up. It does look like it might have been a church at some point. I've had a look for information. It seems it is an old water powered sawmill. I've found a picture of it from seven years ago, it was covered in scaffolding. How fascinating. 


Just before the village, what a fantastic tree. 


Had to take a pic of this colourful truck. It was making a delivery to the pub. 

At least they still have a Post Office, and a shop. Ring the bell for service. 

Time for a lunch stop at the church. I found a bench in a sunny spot, with shelter from the wind. 

The village has several thatched cottages, a school, and a Village Hall. 
Onward towards Ashbourne. I'll post those photo's next. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.