Tuesday 25 December 2012

Frugal Christmas dinner.

I've had a very quiet and simple Christmas Day, doing much the same as I would do on any other day. First thing this morning I had breakfast in bed, cereal and yogurt, and watched Coronation Street catch up on the laptop. A nice gentle start to the day. Then after doing a few household chores I fixed the broken table/work bench outside the back door, so now the pussies have something to sit on in the sun, and shelter underneath in the rain.
Lunch was salad, prawn cocktail, and the second posh salmon fish cake, very nice. 
I had a lazy afternoon watching some more comedy on Yootoob, Catherine Tate is such a scream when she plays the part of Nan. Oh dear, the air is blue with her swearing but I have to laugh.
My Christmas dinner was a vegetable curry, made with a 15p bag of beans and veg. I added some more carrots which needed using up, and an apple and some sultanas. This is the first time I have made a curry properly with curry powder, I usually use a packet sauce mix.  
It turned out very well, quite delicious in fact, all washed down with a can of pear cider. There are three more portions to go in the freezer for another time.  
Almost at the end of another Christmas Day. I hope you have enjoyed yours, I certainly have. I'll leave you with one of Nan's comedy clips, If you are offended by bad language don't watch it. If you do, watch to the end, it's funny. Toodle pip.

19 comments:

  1. Pleased you had a nice day. Just going to bed with a cuppa. Christmas dinner with my son and his family and a visit to my daughter and family, nice time had by all.

    ttfn look forward to hearing about your day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a good day and the curry looks yummy. I had a friend, who, after being widowed in her early 70's used to politely refuse all invites from friends and nephews to spend christmas with them, she preferred the luxury of cooking and eating when she wanted, watching her choice of TV, having a zzzzz etc. Like you she was happy with her own company doing exactly as she pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good.

    Since neither of us are over gone on turkey, and you can't buy a small one, chicken breast fillets were served with chestnut & cranberry stuffing, new potatoes, brussels, carrots and parsnips.
    All provided by yellow stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY for yellow stickers, may we continue to find many more in 2013

      Delete
  4. That really does look good.

    Merry Christmas,

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lunch looks yum, especially with those prawns! We had a lovely relaxed lunch with friends. Sorting out our leftovers today (from our family get together on Sunday) - just pan roasting some potatoes and nearly burnt the lot, too busy watching Catherine Tate :)
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't celebrate Xmas either & your curry looked yummy. I'm glad you enjoyed today doing it your own way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had a lovely day. Your curry looks very tasty.
    Telly was absolutly rubbish, you did the right thing watching youtube.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That breakfast looks soooo yummy. I also noticed the prawn cocktail has a white sauce. Here in the States it's normally a spicy red sauce. I'll have to go on line after I'm done here and find out how to make it. I think that is one of your best food pics. lol! (I'm very partial to salmon patties as well!) My husband and I just stayed in and watched TV as well. It was quiet and peaceful. Cuddle the kitties for me and stay nice and cozy inside.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat. Normally prawn cocktails have a pinkish seafood sauce which is a bit watery, but this one has a white seafood mayo which is thicker and smoother.

      Delete
  9. your lunch with the prawn cocktail looks stunning, I could have ate that for xmas dinner no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your meal looks yummy. I follow you and I am so glad you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been a bit of an odd Christmas for me this year. Had a nice dinner with George and Tricia though. Drank too much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a big plateful of roast dinner made by my Dad and my Nana! :) Was a bit jealous as the meat-eaters had pigs-in-blankets and I used to love them, but I had some lovely mushrooms instead (and extra roast potatoes, yum!).

    I think the prawn cocktail sauce is normally a mixture of tomato ketchup and mayo, or at least, the cheapy versions are! :)

    Glad you had a nice Christmas Ilona! No snow, but hey, it didn't rain too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks delicious! Wish you great holidays!

    Kisses, Lucy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice looking curry! We`re going to have curry on New Years Day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like the look of that curry. We would probably have had that if I hadn't had my Mum for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything looked lovely!
    Really enjoyed the clip of Ms. Tate, foul language and all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That curry looks really good, and lots more in the freezer too, you're really making your bargains stretch even further.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.