Wednesday 19 December 2012

Keeping busy

Thank you for your comments on yesterday's post, even though it turned into a bit of a bun fight. Because I chose not to give out all the details some of the assumptions were incorrect. However, that is to be expected. Today Rocky is not outside, so he must be inside, so that's a good thing. Anyway, I have made an effort today to keep busy, as I believe that when something is troubling you, the best way of dealing with it is distractions, and that means filling your time doing something else.

First job of the day was cleaning litter boxes, they are getting a bit smelly. Get them out on the back yard, scrub with hot soapy water, dry with an old rag, and make sure they are bone dry by wafting over them with a hairdryer. Refill with litter.

Next job was to return a power drill I borrowed from my friend two streets away. Luckily Irene was just making a cup of coffee for her neighbour who had popped in, so I joined them for a bit of a chinwag.
Janet who lives next door was having a bit of bother with her car number plate coming adrift, so I ran home and came back with some extremely sticky double sided tape to fix it. It seems to be stuck down alright now, lets hope it stays that way after getting a drenching in the rain. 
Lunch was a bowl of veggie stew which I made last night, and I've also had some for my dinner tonight. There is still some left for tomorrows lunch, four meals out of some reduced carrots, sprouts, beans, and potatoes, with a tin of tomatoes, some frozen sweetcorn, and an onion added. 
After lunch I went into town to the big library. I am struggling to find any interesting books in the mobile library, they don't seem to get many new books in. Far more choice here. 
Here is a list of my books.
Home to Roost, by Tessa Hainsworth. A story about putting down roots in Cornwall. 
Hrecules and the Farmers Wife, by Chris Wadsworth. About a Cumbrian art gallery.
Time to Say Hello. Autobiography of Katherine Jenkins.
Art For Dummies. Discover how to look at art like an expert.
Natural. Simple Land Art Through the Seasons, by Marc Pouyet.
And last but not least....The Quick Experts Guide to Writing a Blog. Ha ha.
I spent an hour reading all the newspapers, enjoying a share of their central heating. It was a lovely treat. It was dark when I came out.
Not many shoppers left in the town. This is the Light up a Life tree. People pay for a light on the tree, in memory of a loved one who has passed away. The money goes to Lindsey Lodge Hospice.
A few coloured lights about. Looks like a mini Blackpool Illuminations.
The church in the centre of town is our art gallery. The new modern entrance building to the right has been added onto the church itself. It has a tree with blue lights on in the courtyard.
Back home for 5.30pm. Now I'm going to look at my books.

Almost forgot to mention. We rehomed two cats on Monday. They are the second two kittens from my cat Heidi, only they are not kittens any more. Two brothers, they have gone to a lovely home.
Toodle pip.

24 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you. Pleased you rehoused two kitties. Still thinking of you. Tomorrow is another day. Pleased you fixed the number plate. Till tomorrow.

    Dianne - Hereford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news about Rocky and rehoming two kittens :-)

    Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rehoming two kitten cats is good news indeed!!
    Enjoy your books...Art for Dummies? I'd need Art For Real Dummies!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are keeping busy - very sensible, I agree, doing other things to keep your mind off things.
    Love the last photo of the church (cathedral? It looks like a church).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a church Maria, a very big church. It's an art gallery inside.

      Delete
  5. Ilona, a free thing to do is to log onto Open University and go through the open reach courses. They are all free, don't need any books and there are some very interesting art ones.

    Janet (my google account isn't working again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about that Janet, I'll have a look. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Good to hear you're feeling better and Rocky seems to be OK, I owe him a Thank You for picking my name out and winning a nice new shopping bag. It came this morning, just the job, waterproof as well, it's been shopping already tonight, a few yellow stickers in Tesco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the bag, it is not just a bag for life, it will last forever. Keep up the search for yellow stickers.

      Delete
  7. I've been going to the library lately but I have a habit of not realising how fast time goes by and almost go over, with a fine. Fortunately I got away with it last time as I had trouble registering the on-line service!

    Good news about the kitties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it difficult to keep track of return dates for the books I get from the main library. It is automated so the books don't get stamped like the mobile books. Also they only give three weeks, as opposed to six weeks at the mobile.

      Delete
  8. Great news about the kittens:) Also happy to hear Rocky is warm inside. Spot on as per normal Ilona, keeping busy takes your mind off things. Lovely to see all your photos. Take good care. Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that's lovely news about the young cats! Well done :)

    Ilona, do you ever listen to audiobooks? I got in the habit when I had eye surgery and could not read (an unimaginable situation!) and soon learned to really enjoy being "read to." Now I listen to many free audiobooks downloaded from the library, or from Libravox.Org.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used audio books in the past, while driving in my job.

      Delete
  10. This post reminds me that I need to go to the public library more often! And thanks for the update on the kittens - great to hear they've found a home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Busy busy is good. What time does it get dark in the UK now? I saw the photo and thought you must have been in there quite late, but then it was only 5.30?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Matthew. It starts getting dark about 4pm. Only another day and we'll start turning round.

      Delete
    2. Excellent! why, thank you for reminding me of that Ilona, I would have quite forgotten. Winter solstice :) and then eventually, longer days! I don't mind cold crisp winter, but I do miss the sunlight..

      Delete
  12. Good for you Ilona, life must go on, glad you are keeping busy. Art for dummies? I don't think you need that one at all, you can teach us all a thing or two. Likewise the blogging book! Good news on homing the kittens, you do a terrific job, you are an inspiration to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You`re doing alright. Keep calm and carry on, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ilona, just a quick Hello, glad you are feeling a bit better. Keeping busy is a good option. Thats an awful lot of litter trays, glad I only have the one to deal with. One of my daughters had a cat that went to the loo. She was potty training a toddler at the time and the cat got the idea too, quite amazing.

    Good news about re-homing 2 cats and so nice that they are together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sad story to read about your relationship with Rocky. I can't imagine how he must miss you. I'm so hoping that things will smooth out and there might be a spot for you in his life and vice versa. As others have said before me, carry on, see how things work out.
    Great job on stretching the funds with yellow stickers. In my area in Canada, I search for 50% off pink stickers. Another difference is the best availability, I find, is in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really good news about the two kitties getting a new home for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. May i take this opportunity to wish you a pleasant christmas(i'm without a computer as from today)...I know that your not big on christmas and I personally celebrate yule and the sabbats...thank you for your wonderful blog...(as i'm disabled i dont go to far) i love to see the photos of your walks and visits,dogs and kitties.Wishing you also a joyous year ahead. Sue.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.