Saturday 21 December 2013

Carol, don't read this :o))

Carol, my very bestest friend, if you are reading this you shouldn't be, so go away or the surprise will be spoilt, ha ha. Anyone else can look now. I am going to be visiting Carol over the festive period, so I thought I would make her a pressie, rather than worrying over what to buy her. It would be hopeless trying to find anything anyway, she can well afford to buy whatever she wants for herself, she doesn't need any tat I might pick up at the shops.
Me and Carol go way back, about 55 years in fact. We were friends at junior school and people thought we were sisters because we looked alike. We chose completely different career paths. She had the brains to further her education and carve out a career in company finance, whereas I chose the practical hands on type of work. Another difference is that she has been married and I have not. We do have one thing in common though, we both chose not to have children.
There have been long periods of time when we have got on with our own lives, but always coming together through phone calls, emails, and meeting up a couple of times a year. Today we lead completely different lifestyles. She still works and has an active social life with lots of friends, I have a more sedate outlook, bimbling along, doing my own thing, with a few good friends. She is part of a big family, I have a very small family. When we come together it's like I see her every day, we chatter ten to the dozen and have lots of laughs. So I am looking forward to a jolly time this festive holiday.   
So, you saw a snippet of the pressie I was making, here is the finished article. There is no plan, no pattern, things are just made up as I go along. Ideas pop into my head and I think, I wonder if that would work, or what would that look like. I bought some pieces of colourful felt about a year ago from the Hospice Shop. Thank goodness she has only five letters in her name. I don't think I would have attempted Stephanie or Elizabeth. My first idea was that the letters should have a gusset and would be freestanding, but I didn't have enough time to sew all those seams. So I decided on cutting two of each, sewing them together with a blanket stitch, and stuffing them. Then mount them on a fabric background.   
I made all the letters first, then I gathered a few materials. Plain green fabric, a piece of sponge which just happened to be the right size, a roll end of some stiff window blind fabric, and some floral fabric. As it was I didn't use the floral, I changed my mind.

I needed some stuffing, and I remembered I had bought a white crochet shawl for 50p from a clearance sale, the shop was closing down. It is nice and soft, and I thought it would come in useful for something. I removed the tassels and chopped them up.

Here are a few close ups. Small pink beads in the centre of the flowers, and some even smaller red beads dotted around. I stitched the letters on to the pale green fabric and the stiff backing, before I added the sponge, and lastly stitched the back on.


 
On the back I attached two brass rings for the hanger.
The white cord all around the edge I seem to remember, came from a gift of flowers in a bag, that someone gave me for my 60th birthday. Something else that has come in useful. It took ages to stitch it all on.

 
I hope she likes it.
Enjoy your weekend. Toodle pip.

57 comments:

  1. I love this piece of art work and I'm sure your friend will also. It's really colourful and made with love.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure that Carol will love it. It doesn't matter how much money one can earn a gift from the heart is priceless. Merry Christmas Ilona xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's gorgeous! I would be chuffed to bits to receive something like that. Homemade presents are the best. You are both very lucky to have such a lasting friendship. Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really beautiful, Ilona. I should think that Carol will be thrilled with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely,,, nice and bright. My proper name is Carol,,, want to make me one?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errrrrr, not really, ha ha. I like to move on with ideas, try something new.

      Delete
  6. I love the chain stitch between all the flowers, that little touch just finishes it off really well. Have a good visit with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is lovely, and so clever! I wish I was good at crafts (and had the time!). I would be delighted to receive a gift like that.
    Jane
    http://shoestringcottage.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to receive a gift like that because it's so cute, personal, and made by a best friend! Great job, Ilona.
    Nancy from Northern California

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, thats stunning. What a lovely gift. I am sure Carol will be pleased.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done you, thats brilliant. Im sure Carol will love it. Im green with envy over your lovely neat blanket stitch (I cant do blanket stitch and had hoped to master it as one of my goals this year, but havent gotten round to it yet) sigh.
    Have a wonderful Xmas.:o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sensational. The colours are amazing. Such a sunny gift, just the ticket this time of year.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite beautiful, I would be very happy with a gift like that. I'm sure she'll love it.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful and individual gift.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So clever and cute and well stitched. She will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so beautifully stitched and Carol is sure to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a lovely present, as they say, friendship is sewn one stitch at a time.
    have a happy Christmas
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so beautiful, I would be so pleased to receive a lovely present like that. You are very clever with your ideas and have the expertise to carry them out and make something for your friend to keep forever.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a clever girl you are Ilona, your present to your friend is a delight.
    How pleased she will be and you must take a pat on the back for your lovely work.
    Well done.
    Happy Christmas.
    Love Pam in TX.xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful gift for your friend and so colourful it's a joy to look at and I bet Carole will be over the moon with it. Merry Christmas to you Ilona and thank you for your brilliant blogs - a Christmas present to me every day of the year xxx Lizzie-Tish, Pembrokeshire xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you Lizzie, thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  20. Really lovely, your stitching is gorgeous. A lovely gift.
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely neat sewing and really colourful. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sure she'll love it.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's lovely Ilona, what a labour of love. She will be utterly delighted. Hope you can get a photos of her face when she sees it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it and I know Carol will too. Really like the flowers on the letters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, Ilona, that is so lovely. If a friend took the time to make something so beautiful for me I would cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lot of thought & love has gone into this, she'll love it!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful gift for anyone to receive. She will be thrilled with it. Well done IIona

    Sue R

    ReplyDelete
  28. So lovely Ilona and I'm sure Carol will treasure this special gift from you.

    Cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a gorgeous personal gift!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's gorgeous, I'm sure she'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think that's so wonderful and am sure your friend will treasure that. That would mean more to me than if you'd gone to a shop and spent squillions with little thought or effort. Have been round the charity shops in Uttoxeter today. Got loads of cheap but well nice decorations. Chuffed! Louise from Burton x

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's lovely Ilona.
    Can I have sewing lessons please!
    Angela (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful. A true gift from the heart. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  34. Whoever said that Flower Power was dead? That`s just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it reminds me of hippies. And the painted trucks in India.

      Delete
  35. Carol is a lucky lady....I love her present.
    Ilona you have the best craft ideas, and they always turn out very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Totally amazed! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Ilona, I've happened to stumble upon your blog last week and I've had so much enjoyment reading it, thanks for sharing your ideas etc.

    I love the name banner. I also like creating things whether it be around the house, garden or craft ideas from bits and bobs - to me it's a celebration of how we can create things with our imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Anon, pleased you have found us. I love using my imagination, so satisfying.

      Delete
    2. Ilona, thanks for your reply. I forget to sign off with my name - I'm Cathy M.

      Delete
  38. Made with love and love what you have made :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. wonderful, I love it, bet she will too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. this is absolutely fab, I wish I had as much talent! It would cost an arm and a leg in one of those posh' crafty'
    shops!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very crafty you! Homemade gifts are the best....much love in them.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a thoughtful and lovely gift...am sure Carol will be delighted with your beautiful work...

    ReplyDelete
  43. That is so pretty and colorful! How did you think up that idea? Your needlework is so precise. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have my name in wood, the letters are joined, I wondered if I could do something similar in fabric. I don't know where the rest came from. Flowers are easy to cut out and stitch on.

      Delete
  44. Love your friend's gift, just to let you know, there are only five letters in my name as well! LOL
    Merry, merry Christmas to you and all the best for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just gorgeous! Your chum will be totally thrilled I am sure.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.