Tuesday 3 December 2013

More patchwork, and a declutter

I got straight onto the job of adding more patches this morning, after the breakfast pots were moved into the kitchen. That's what I like about being retired, I can do whatever I like, and today I decided I am going to get this block finished. I've cropped the edges in the photo. It started as a 24inch square, and half an inch will be trimmed off all round to give a neat edge.   
I think this method works pretty well, and it goes together quite quickly using the sewing machine. I am going to carry on and make more. It won't be a bed quilt, probably a throw for the sofa. I'm not sure how big to make it, I might get away with six blocks, but might go to nine. As it's already got two layers I will just put a backing onto it. I will need to dig out some more fabric from my stash, I don't want to buy any more, but want to use up what I already have. So, hey ho, keep on sewing.
Another little job I tackled today, keep on chipping away at those boring unglamorous jobs. I have a nice little old writing bureau sitting in the corner of my living room. Someone gave it to me years ago, they were moving home and didn't have room for it in their new abode. I seem to have a talent for finding freebies, ha ha. Anyway, it has been housing my card making bits and bobs, mainly old greetings card which I cut up and stitch onto new cards. I haven't made any cards for ages. I tried to sell them at one point, but I think most people are of the same mind these days and have given up sending cards.

I thought about chucking the whole darn lot, having a good clear out, but there are some very old family cards here which I don't want to part with just yet, so I have just scaled down my collection. I took the scissors to the ones I didn't want to keep and now I have a big pile of white card to use for notes. I've also saved a lot of decorative snippets which can be used to make new cards, if I feel inclined to start making them again.

That's a lot better, the unwanted clutter has gone in the paper recycling box. I bet the bin men will think it's strange when they empty the box, to find lots of Christmas cards three weeks before Christmas. They usually get recycled in January.

I did find time to go out for a local walk today, I like to get out once every day. Right, I'm going to do a bit more sewing, make a start on the next block.
Toodle pip.

15 comments:

  1. Your patchwork is lovely Ilona :) and I love your little writing desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your jolly patches! I have to smile every time tho, that you didn't get vaccinated against the patchwork bug while you had the chance to save yourself ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your colours, very pretty. I like the paper Christmas cards, don't find the electronic ones very appealing. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also cut up old cards to make into new ones! Cards are so expensive these days. And I never buy notepaper or pads - just use the back of cards, junk mail or old envelopes, all held together with a large clip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying the freedom to do what i want when I want, no more work for me. I was cooking at 6.30 this morning and sewing by 9.00. The patchwork is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really loving this patchwork, so colourful, just what I like.
    Couldn't agree with you more that the knitted onesie is disgusting but it just made me laugh.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. My opinion on using old card to make new is that it only works if your finished product is very well done. Better than the original card. So it looks custom made for the person and not just like some cheapskate recycling old cards. We had someone who used to send us those and , honestly, I'd rather have had no card but a 'phone call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. I gave a lot of my cards away to friends and family, they were all loved by those who received them. I think home made cards are far better than shop bought ones, even if they are not perfect. It's the thought behind them that counts. I like receiving phone calls as well.

      Delete
    2. Message received Jan, thanks.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I really love reading your blog. Yours, frugal queen and a girl called Jack. Everything I do and some extra tips I didn't know. Have fond memories growing up of a bureau in our dining room(sounds posh but it was a laundry dumping ground!)Always wanted one but not got the room for one yet! Keep up the blogging! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I too thought of my grandma. She had a very cluttered bureau but she always seemed to put her hand on the thing she needed. MQ - patchwork amazing! Really lovely. Debbie

      Delete
  9. As someone else mentioned, the colors in the patchwork are glorious! I also like the small desk. Even though i should be doing my own straightening and de-cluttering, i think i'll just read about you doing it for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful colors on the patchwork!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you made the quilt about 6ft 6in x 4ft it would fit my new bed nicely. If you were to sell it that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello i make allsorts out of old Christmas cards boxed fro small homemade gifts or sweets labels for presents or anything really, I use the backs for notepaper and messages. I thinks they are so versatile. BTW I LOVE the quilt so cheery

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.