Friday 14 August 2015

Rabbiting on

Hello. At last, I'm sitting down and chillin with a mug of coffee, it's been a hectic day. Yesterday I thought I didn't have much to do today, and could spend the day sewing. It didn't turn out like that. First off I noticed that Bugsy's claws needed clipping, and I don't have the tool to do that. Luckily Janet has, so she came round and did the deed, me holding him tight in a towel, she trimmed.

Then I made the decision to take Heidi to the vet, her neck looks sore and she is looking a bit sad. I have bathed it but it doesn't seem to be healing. I needed to get there for 11.30 and be first in the queue, the vet should turn up at 12noon on a Friday. She was a bit late, that's normal, she gets held up at the main practice. Marion said she though Heidi might be anaemic and suggested blood tests. I thought that was a good idea, but best to go to the main practice some miles away for that. She rang and made an appointment for me.

Back home for lunch. Check emails. There was one from the Rabbit Rescue. A neighbour has two rabbits which she wants to re home, she has been waiting for a place for them. I have been helping her out with feeding them because she is busy. Now the rescue has a place and the neighbour is away on holiday. I know the lady who runs the rescue, that's why she emailed me, so I offered to deliver the rabbits. Then I went round to the neighbours father who lives down the road, to ok it with him. Yes fine he said. It was arranged for a 7pm delivery.

Then off to the vet again, the big practice on the other side of town, with Heidi. I had to wait a long time, they were busy. Heidi has had a sample of blood taken, the results will be through on Tuesday. She has also had an antibiotic injection for her sore neck. Poor Heidi.

I called in at the small Tesco on the way back to get some milk, and some treats for Heidi, I need to get her to eat more. Make myself a quick dinner with courgettes, mushrooms and celeriac. Then neighbours father came round and between us we got the rabbits into the cat carrier box. The food, hay, and water bottles went with them.

The rabbit lady runs the rescue from her home. She has a courtyard at the back of the house with all the pens, it looks very comfortable, and clean, and well organized. There are plants in pots, secure pens, and lots of bunnies. Mandy is the Founder and has been running it since 1996. She is dedicated to rescuing rabbits and every Sunday morning you can see her at the local car boot sale raising funds for them. Here is a link to Scunthorpe Rabbit Rescue.

Phew, now I'm back home and able to sit down for a rest. It's been a busy day, always something to do.
Thank you to those who have emailed me about the possibility of meeting up in Norfolk next month. I shall reply soon. Have a nice weekend, and thanks for popping in.
Toodle pip

Here's a bit more rabbit.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the link to the Rabbit Rescue. They are the pets most frequently abandoned . It is very easy to train a rabbit to use a litter box.
    I love the song, which I had not heard before, although a different kind of "rabbiting". Very funny! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.Gosh,hope poor Heidi gets better soon.It's always a worry when our beloved pets fall ill.You've done the best you can for her by seeing the vet.Full days are so hectic sometimes.Your many kind deeds reflect your generous and giving nature,Ilona.The Rabbit Rescue is a great cause,thanks for sharing the link to their website.Cute song and pretty cute singer too!(never heard it before)Hope you have a good weekend,bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved rabbits and have kept many over my lifetime. Rex's have always been my favourite.

    As for Chas & Dave - been a fan for a very long time - well, I'm a Londoner you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to take a cat/kitten to the local rescue this AM. It turned up on my doorstep and made itself at home. Our dog didn't appreciate that, at all! We're a small community; they think they know who it belongs to. I think it felt safe here, like your precious Heidi.
    Loved the video, too. At first, i thought he was saying toking; it took me a minute to figure it out. Handsome fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sending lots of love and positive wishes to Heidi. Hope she will get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the antibiotic helps Heidi feel better right away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Heidi is soon feeling much better.

    I hope the bunnies enjoy their new home, I love rabbits, but couldn't possibly have any now that we have Rosy, although I suspect she could be made to consider the rabbits part of the family, as she does the chicks, and not eat them. But it would only take one lapse of memory if they did something unexpected and they would be a goner :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were half hoping I would take the bunnies in, but I have enough pets, can't afford any more, also don't want the commitment. They were lovely white bunnies, hope they find a new forever home, but they are in a better place at the rescue at the moment. Nice that they are being looked after.

      Delete
  8. I know how Heidi feels - I'm anaemic too. 4 months on iron tablets. I'm glad the bunnies are in good hands. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best wishes to Heidi, hope all is well soon. As for the bunnies, they multiply so quickly, one can soon be overrun with bunnies. My daughters mother in law raises them and sells them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that sounds irresponsible.

      Delete
  10. Ilona, thanks for inspiring me to look up the origin of "rabbiting on" which is an expression I have heard and used my whole life. Apparently another bit of Cockney Rhyming Slang.
    Rabbit and Pork= Talk ( pronounced Tork, of course!). Jan F

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.