Monday 10 August 2015

The yellow sticker queen strikes again

Hello. I did it again yesterday. A dash to Tesco brought me £22.91 worth of food for £2.34. I made it up to the £30 with other items I needed so I could spend the £4 off voucher. It was a bit close, the voucher ran out when the shop closed at 4pm, I just managed to go through the checkout with five minutes to spare, ha ha. 
My fridge is full with mushrooms, melon chunks, lettuce, cucumber, mixed veg, spinach, avocado pears, courgettes, celeriac, and rocket. 
This was last nights meal, salad with a slice of quiche. 
Breakfast this morning was avocado, melon, and nectarine from Aldi which are going a bit wrinkled after only two days, topped with plain yogurt.

These need cooking now, so I have made soup with them. One portion to eat now and two for the freezer. Sweetcorn, peas, and carrots. 
There is a herb raised bed in front of the doctors surgery, it is there for anyone to help themselves. I haven't taken any before so I thought I would give it a try and pick some for the soup. I don't know much about herbs, so I took a few of each. 

 I also added some turmeric, and a teaspoon of veg gravy granules. Simmered in a pan for ten minutes and zapped with the stick blender. I tasted it, and it was ok, but lacking in something, so I added some grated cheese and stirred in some yogurt. That's better, very tasty.

I was a bit peeved when I was in Tesco, couldn't find any Value bran flakes or Value lemon curd. I went to the customer service desk to ask why there wasn't any. The girl got it up on the computer and said they weren't listed. But why, I have been buying these for a long time. The boy said maybe they are rebranding and they will come back later with a different label. I have been reading on the MSE forum that they are discontinuing some of their Value range. Ah well, I will have to get the bran flakes from Aldi, same size, same quality, same price. Not sure about the lemon curd though, I haven't seen it as cheap as 22p anywhere else, might have to give that one up. Maybe I shouldn't complain as I did get a lot of reductions in the salad and veg department, swings and roundabouts I suppose.

I had some visitors this afternoon, a few of the crafty ladies came to see my summerhouse. They all like it. A pleasant hour was spent sitting around and having a natter.

I will sign off now, the pooch is due for his last walk before bed time. See you soon. Toodle pip

22 comments:

  1. Another incredible shopping experience! You are amazing.... JanF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aldi do a cheap lemon curd it's about 25 p. Love it stirred in natural yogurt x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that Laura, I will check it out. I like a splodge of lemon curd on a piece of seeded bread. Never tried it in yogurt, must give it a go.

      Delete
    2. That's my usual breakfast - fat free plain yogurt wth a spoon of lemon curd stirred in, a handful of chopped fruit topped off with raw jumbo oats - yum! :)

      Delete
  3. Sainsbury's have lemon curd for 30p if you are near one.
    http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/curds/sainsburys-lemon-curd--basics-411g

    Impressed as always with your bargains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Toni. I will get some and do a taste test, along with the Aldi brand, and decide which one I like best.

      Delete
    2. ASDA also does a smartprice lemon curd for 22p.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I have only just found your blog but I definitely need to follow your lead. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello H F O K and welcome. I've had a look at your blog, maybe I can get some money saving tips from you as well. It's all about sharing.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like a lovely idea, I am all up for sharing 😊 I popped into my local Asda tonight to see if thy had any yellow stickers, they did but the offers don't seem as good as Tesco.Have a nice day tomorrow Tara x

      Delete
  5. An amazing haul, loved the look of your soup, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great buys! Sad to say I don't see stickers like that at my market. You will find meat marked down close to sell by dates. I don't eat meat but I'll purchase it for hubby on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I sometimes get reduced cooked meat for my cats and dog, they are not veggie, ha ha.

      Delete
    2. We need to convert them, don't we? ;) I've tried with hubby but he refuses. I can't stand the scent of meat cooking any longer. I'll wear a mask when I scramble up ground beef for his spaghetti sauce. ewww.

      Delete
    3. I don't like walking through the market past the meat counter, they sell ready roasted chickens as well, cooked on the premises. The smell makes me feel sick. I don't know what it is with men when they want meat with every meal, is it a macho thing or what? Is it whimpish to say you are a vegetarian? I don't get it.

      Delete
    4. Amen! I can't stand to walk by the meat counters. Makes me shiver and gag. I usually put a bag on my hand to pick up any meat hubby wants. I grab it an go. When cooking it it takes days to get over. I cook as many veggie meals as I can get by with and let him get his meat fix when we go out to dinner. Only fair I say. ha. As hard as it is to cook ground beef...I refuse to cook chicken. Now there I draw the line. As least the beef isn't in body form.
      ewwww!

      Delete
  7. I have just started following your blog, and you are making me homesick, seeing all those bargains at Tesco's! Here in NZ you just don't get deals like that. I've just paid $1.50 for a Curlywurly to go in my daughters present box for her birthday, and lemon curd would be about $4! We are lucky we have our own eggs and a lemon tree, so I make my own xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Claire, glad you have found us. I am lucky where I live, there are four major supermarkets within a few miles. I use the nearest, Tesco, no sense in travelling further. I think if I lived somewhere where I didn't have access to reductions I would grow more food in my garden. At the moment I can buy it cheaper.

      Delete
  8. Tesco is 15 miles away but its still our nearest big supermarket , we just have the Coop lovely quality, damned expensive but just ocasionally they mark stuff down when its on its last legs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not keen on Aldi's bran flakes. I find them too hard and gritty and hard to digest compared with other supermarkets own brands. Let me know what you think. Lidl might be better but I'm not often near Lidl. My kitchen is full of yellow stickers too. Great to get a bargain! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi.You have done very well -look at those bargains!Delicious and healthy looking meals,Ilona.We had a nice surprise visit from family with loads of surplus from the garden yesterday.It's so nice to be thought of.Our little plot is not producing much yet because of late planting.Hubby cooks fish and meat outside on the grill or even in an electric pan to not smell up the house mostly.This house doesn't have an exhaust fan yet and I too find meat cooking smells linger long after the meal.We try to get along and keep the peace,tee-hee.Our deck is close to the kitchen and is convenient.Bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Ilona. I'm also partial to Tesco's lemon curd and like a smear of it on crispbread as a low cal snack. I'm not sure if you have one near you but I think that Asda do a value/savers lemon curd, also Morrisons, but I'm not sure of the actual price. I also look out for reduced packs of diced veg. I like to keep a stock in the freezer as an easy, peasy base for soup.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.