Tuesday 19 March 2019

Circular ramble from Market Weighton.

Time for walkies today. I met up with Vicki at Market Weighton, she is a member of our Walking Group, and we did a circular walk of 7.5 miles. The weather was good, no wind or rain, and the sun eventually came out in the afternoon when we were almost back to the starting point. Vicki organized the route, I just followed. There was a couple of places I recognised, I have walked through this area when on a long walk. 
Out of Market Weighton on the road, then a right turn on a footpath along some field edges. Through Towthorpe to Londesborough. When there were deer on the estate they used to shelter here. 

Londesborough Church. We sat on a bench here and had a snack.

A quick look at the village.

I was rather impressed with this bird feeder.

A platform has been added with wire sides to keep out larger birds, and possibly squirrels. The smaller birds can get through to the inside for the food. I see the side is hinged to allow access for replenishment.

We crossed over a small wooden bridge and peered into the water of a large pond. Lots of frogs were swimming about.


Some of the old trees had been blown over in the wind.


Heading on to Goodmanham under this disused railway bridge. The rail tracks on top are long gone.

This is Goodmanham Church. There are signs on the verge not to tread on the daffodils or wipe your muddy boots on the grass.

We picked up the Bridleway back to Market Weighton.


Apparently people tie ribbons on this tree to make a wish. It looks a bit of a mess.

A lovely walk, it was nice to see Vicki again. I picked up some Shopping at Tesco in Market Weighton before I set off back home. A few yellow stickers were found. That's it, time to get the cats in, then I'm going to bed.  ilona

11 comments:

  1. I can imagine you had a good nights sleep. It look an interesting place and the bird feeder was great. You had some nice weather for your walk I had a little walk and did just over an hour in the garden.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did that walk a couple of years ago. It was beautiful and saw lots of birds. I must do it again now the weather is improving. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a nice place to do a walk.I love the wooden sign post.I wonder if the bird house had been bought or made?My cousin gave me an idea for a bird feeder that she uses..you maybe already know..but an old tea pot without the lid.Ive got an old Harrods one that my sister in law was throwing out because the lid had broke.My cousin ties the handle to a tree branch and puts some bird food in it.If it rains the water just drains out the spout.Small birds could even use it for a nesting box.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like the bird house started as a small feeding station, the sort you can buy from a garden centre. The larger bottom section had been added to provide protection for smaller birds to enter and feed.

      Delete
  4. Looks a tad muddy in places, Hope you didn't take too much mud home with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit muddy, but I've seen worse.

      Delete
  5. It is always such a pleasure to see your rambling about photo shots. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love the rambling photos and dialogue. Fab as always. x

      Delete
  6. We call them clootie trees down here. They are normally beside a well or spring, which might be associated with healing in the past (different springs had different healing powers). The rag on the tree is part of the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your walks always look so interesting x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.