Saturday 9 March 2019

Subscription V free (Updated)

A couple of yoootoooobers I follow have recently announced that they have opened an account with Patreon. I had never heard of this before so it prompted me to explore further.

Here is the Wiki link.  It is a membership platform with headquarters in San Francisco, and first came onto the www in 2013. Patreon provides business tools for creators to run a subscription content service, so artists can build relationships with their subscribers. It allows them to receive money from their fans, and Patreon charges a commission for each donation. I suggest you read the whole of the Wiki report to understand how it works.

Here is David with an introduction to Cruising the Cut, on his Patreon page.

And here is Rafi talking about his new Patreon page.


It will be interesting to see where all this goes. Will yootoob content shrink because contributors are moving over to Patreon? I have noticed that there are more adverts creeping in at the start of every yootoob video. They can be skipped but if they are the contributor receives no money from them so they are giving their services for free. The money they do receive if the adverts play to the end  however, is a pittance.

I can see how those vloggers who are doing this as part of their work do need to be paid. Everyone of working age needs to earn a living. But it means more decisions for us watchers who choose the free yoootoob channel. We can opt in to pay for extra content on the Patreon channels, if we so wish.

Yoootoob V Patreon, it seems there is a two tier system, those who pay get more content, some people won't mind that, and those who want to stick with the free content. A bit like television really, there are free channels, and those that you have to pay a subscription to access.

As living within my means, money saving, frugal and simple living, is embedded in my brain, I will have to evaluate what is the best deal for me, as I do with all my outgoings. I have an aversion to signing up for any subscriptions, direct debits, standing orders, and memberships. No one gets access to my bank account or card details unless there really is no alternative. I do have money to spare and keep a tight hold on it, until such time that I decide how I spend it. Any charitable donations are paid for as and when I can afford it, always with a cheque or cash.

I'm interested in what subscriptions you pay for which you think are good value for money? And what would you never pay extra for because you already get what you want very cheaply or free?

I wish David and Rafi good luck with their new channels. They seem like thoroughly decent people who want to pay their own way in life. Their work is a lifestyle choice, and they put a lot of time and effort into it. The High Street shops may be closing, but people are looking for new ways to earn a living.  ilona

PS. I have received a message from David at Cruising the Cut, he has clarified a few misconceptions that he feels I have touched on. I tend to see things in black and white. I am an 'either/or' person, sometimes the middle bit is not always obvious to me, especially if some of it is missing.

I will let David explain what I got wrong.

I think I should clarify that Patreon is not a new "channel" for me (nor indeed is it new as I've had Patreon for ages). Rather, I view Patreon (as I clearly say in the text on my page there) very much just as a means for people who enjoy my videos and want to chip a donation my way, as a means to do so. It is not an alternative to YouTube and it's certainly not "YouTube vs Patreon" as you suggest. Whilst I do offer some Patrons a little extra "bonus" content, it's very intermittent and very much thrown together. My main output is, and will remain, YouTube.

Thank you David for that. ilona


10 comments:

  1. Hi, I also watch YouTube for free and don't have any subscriptions to anything, I have three favourite charities I donate to as and when I can afford it, depending if I sell anything through my online shop and when I sell second items through a well known auction site then I donate 10%. But I will not be paying to watch anything, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilona: thank you so much for this. I read a terrific blog called Sixty and Me and Margaret also has a Patreon channel that I have been thinking of subscribing to. I'm trying to be better with my money but on the other hand, she works really hard and deserves to be compensated. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I subscribe to a nearby gym as I like to go there for a swim and a coffee. I don’t plan on ever subscribing to any TV other than Freeview as I end up sleeping through many evening programmes anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm similar to Jo above. I watch some YouTube but won't be subscribing to anything. If all of YouTube became chargeable I'd simply stop watching it. Most of it is rubbish and time wasting anyway. I have two animal charities that I give money to, as and when I can.
    I'm careful with my money and subscribing to anything won't be happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wont be subscribing to anything because 1.I dont watch youtube much and apart from that,I only ever have cash n dont do cards of any sort.My hubby pays all our bills.I wouldnt have a clue what to do with a card!Like others on here I give to animal charities and Heartlink...sometimes to Air Ambulance...when I can afford a donation.I dont do anything monthly.I have to be very careful with my pennies and only spend when I can afford to,xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We were paying a very small monthly amount to support a friend on Youtube, but this set up has taken the money but not paid him anything since December so we have cancelled it.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's 'e begging' anyway up ilona, they say its work??!?!?!?!?? They were just making a vlog because they wanted to, now its easy money, with the different levels of patreon. It's just child's play in my opinion. As one commenter said,allot of youtube videos are rubbish. Apart from your obs.and a couple of sewing vids I watch, without subscribing.we didn't have youtube too long ago and we managed very well, we actually met each other in real life! Keep up your great blog, don't get sucked in.. Sorry I know you don't like people telling you what to do. That's me rant for today.. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a yearly subscription to Amazon Prime. I don't know if it's run in a similar way in the UK. We pay about $100 per year and get 2 day delivery on any packages for no extra charge and access to their movie and tv collection (similar to Netflix). I do a lot of price comparisons, and end up buying a lot on Amazon, so the shipping portion saves me money in the long run. My daughter has a subscription to Netflix and she added us to her account for only $1 a month. I watch both Netflix and Amazon Prime shows a lot in the evenings - I definitely get my money worth. Other than that, I have 3 charities that I support, and each is debited automatically from my account each month. One is an animal charity, one a children's hospital, and one a church-run organization in Uganda. I feel very fortunate to be able to afford all of the above and wish I could do more for the charities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I suppose that the situation with youtube is similar to the quandry in the music industry: if the singer-songwriters put their unique talents into making music, why should they not be paid for it rather than people streaming it for free? After all, we would not expect to walk into a shop and take away a load of CD's without paying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ilona, I follow a Welsh lady called Hannah on her blog/Facebook page called One Woman Walks. She is currently walking across Europe. She also has a Patreon page where she posts extra content that you don't see on her "free" page. She is a cancer survivor and part of her Patreon income goes to cancer research. She meets the most interesting people.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.