Thursday 7 March 2019

New ideas

It's been raining for most of the day so I have been playing with an idea. Started a new picture, don't know whether to frame it, or make a wall hanging. I'll see how it goes and decide later. First take a piece of green baize, 18 inches by 23 inches, and add a lot of scraps, fabric, wool, and pieces of mesh. Spread them out. 
Close up.

Then add tons of free motion stitching with the new machine, all over it to hold it down and flatten it out. It took ages to do, trying to keep it all in place without it all falling off. I used a large hoop to do one section at a time. It was good practice. I have an open toe foot for doing this, now I know that I should have bought a closed toe, because it kept catching on the uneven surface.

Close up. It looks messy, it's supposed to look messy. Lots of texture.

The next part. Using plastics and wool to create interesting patterns.

I have joined these bottle tops together with wire at the back. Punch holes in them with a map pin, and add stitching.

More ideas to come, it will be a masterpiece.   ilona

PS. I have added a new link to a sewing blog on the sidebar. McAnaraks makes some nice things. 

11 comments:

  1. On the 3rd picture down I can see little cottages and castles.Trees and bridges.Like a story from Han Christian Anderson with little people running about......or is it just my vivid imagination!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention..off thread again,you must be used to me now!!..but I had a little brown box delivered to me yesterday through the post.It was a box of wild flower seeds with lots of other info,stickers,wall chart and even a cardboard picture frame to put a pic in when my wild flowers grow!I got quite a few things sent me last year because I had filled in my name n address on the Free Stuff UK site for Grow Wilder.I didnt think that I would get sent anything this year so it made my day!.Everything in the box is reuseable and recyclable.They also have a FB page,so I dont know if things are offered on there.Isnt it nice when free things arrive!!

      Delete
  2. So pleased you are using your machine. Look forward to seeing another masterpiece.

    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your "Study in Green!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to seeing the new masterpiece. I really love the green thing you've put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually read and don't comment, but on utube there as a gal (I think it's stitchesbyjulia???? That shows multiple videos on making new fabric from scraps in her stash. I THINK she uses water soluble stabilizer over the top of it all as she stitches and then washes it. You may already know this, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have seen the water soluble stabilizer, good solution. I don't want to wash this piece.

      Delete
  6. I also usually read and do not comment, try putting wedding vail netting on your art picture then your machine foot will not get caught in your bits and pieces this is a trick quilters use for thread painting enjoy your blog from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ilona, this is stunning! Cannot wait to see the finished work of art! LOVE LOVE the greens!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.