Sunday 24 March 2019

I think it's time . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . to visit this exhibition now showing at The Ropewalk Barton upon Humber, before it closes, last day today, Sunday. 
Luke Jerram is the artist, his name has cropped up before on this blog. He was the one who did the gigantic model of The Moon, which I saw when I was on holiday at Orkney. 
The title of this clock exhibition is Harrison's Garden. John Harrison was a carpenter and clockmaker who invented the marine chronometer, a device for calculating longtitude while at sea. He was born in 1693 and at age five, moved to Barrow upon Humber, a couple of miles down the road. In 1717 he created a clock with a mechanism made almost entirely from wood. It is signed and dated by Harrison. 
The clocks here have been donated and will be sold at auction to help raise money for a statue of John Harrison, to be sited in Barrow Marketplace. 

A fascinating collection, it's hard to pick a favourite, but as usual I favour the colourful and quirky. 


















Have you got time to look through my pictures.   ilona

10 comments:

  1. So many clocks there which I remember from my childhood home. There was a grandmother clock (small pendulum wall clock as in photo 2), which chimmed every 1/4 in the room below my bedroom. My mum loved her carriage clock, wall clocks which look like our school clocks. A bigben alarm clock. Loved this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did it say how many clocks were used for this "art" work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The literature says that throughout it's travels, the exhibition has continually expanded, with more donations added at each venue. At Penrhyn it numbered almost 3000, a proportion of which are at Barrow. It doesn't say how many are in this collection, and I'm not going to count them :o)

      Delete
  3. What a lot of clocks!!.Ive never seen that many all together even in shops!.I quite like the drums also the glass ones on the picture above the drums.The round glass ones remind me off a clock,which is still in use at my Mams house.It is made of Tutbury glass and we had it engraved for my Mam and Dads 25th wedding anniversary.Well its a beautiful day here in Leicester.I stayed at my daughters house last night and couldnt believe how warm it was at 6 this morning as I sat and had a cup of tea in her garden.Well,I stood most of the time drinking my tea as her labradors thought they would tell me just how much they love me by wanting to jump all over me when I sat down and they are very big dogs now...n still growing,lol.Hope that the weather is good for you too!,xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! And what fun that it continues to expand as people contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you fancy seeing his Moon again it’s currently on exhibition at The Collection in Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rather partial to the black cat one.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's wonderful! I love the crystal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love the Wallace and Gromet clock, my fave, watched the movie Ethel and Ernest this week on netflix, made me miss England and my parents, had a good cry. Someone reminded me that the England I miss doesn't exist anymore. If I was to move back from Canada I would get a shock. Pity I really enjoyed my chidhood. I sound old today...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got 7 cuckoo clocks in my home and I love them all x really enjoyed your photos Ilona x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.