Saturday 23 November 2019

Sales chat.

Everything has a beginning, a middle, and an end. Nothing lasts forever. So let's get on with it. Now where was I. My friend who was invited to a neighbours house to see all the crafty items she has been making throughout the year. My friend didn't want to go because she felt the woman was only being friendly towards her because she was selling her wares. Update. My friend did go because her husband said it would be a neighbourly thing to do.

She was given a coffee, and she did buy three items. She now thinks that she has been duped into buying something, so she is not a happy bunny. Doubts came into her mind about whether the woman had made everything, or maybe some of it was bought in. My friend says she will not go next year, but will she I wonder.

It's very difficult to make a rational decision when put into that position. People can be very persuasive, they appear very genuine. Very difficult to tell if the person is telling the truth when you don't know them very well. Basically it's sales chat, they invite you saying no obligation to buy. They push you for a decision, want you to commit, don't give you time to think about it.

It's a form of party planning, come to my house we are having a Tupperware party or whatever. I know a bit about how it works because I once did Body Shop at Home. I didn't last very long, I wasn't the right type to be pushy, and I found once I had exhausted my friends I couldn't find anyone else to have a party. Don't get sucked into party plan selling. Only go if you want to, and only buy if you want to.
Toodle pip.  ilona


12 comments:

  1. I agree it's the sort of thing that relies on pressures selling. People are to polite/embarrassed to say no they don't want anything. One of my neighbours delivered a catalogue with expensive stuff in it. But really it was cheap that at a high price. I left the leaflet out without an order because it really doesn't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilona, I think selling items you've made yourself is a lot different than "party plan" selling. And I certainly agree with you on that! I think your friend has a problem. I'm not sure what it is, but nobody twisted her arm to buy 3 things and then to doubt whether her neighbor made them herself. (Now if "Made in China" is stamped on the bottom, that's a clue!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have bought things at parties before,even though the stuff was too expensive and I didn't really want it anyway x

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY well said, Iona!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If i don't want to go to a party I just say "Sorry I have got something else to go to" it's very awkward sometimes similar when people are buying raffle tickets if you don't want them.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very rare that people do these where I live now.In fact I cant remember the last one I went to.We used to get booklets,with kitchen stuff in, pushed through the door.It had pound shop stuff for £3.99p so I think through lack of sales,lol even that has stopped now.I much prefer going to the Christmas fairs,where the goods for sale are made by the ladies who are there manning the stalls.Pickled onions,jams,marmalade ect.I am going to one of these next Friday and really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well of course she was only invited because she may buy something, obvious really.
    So who is to blame ? these 'companies/individuals' who organise them, or the people who fall for their sales chat ? after all, no one forces them to part with their hard end money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt obliged to Kitty,it may seem silly but that's the way I was

      Delete
    2. I understand that, difficult isn't it ? but that's what people prey on - don't go again !

      Delete
  8. Funnily enough, after not hearing about Tupperware for years, I was invited to go to one a few weeks back. I declined and explained that I would not be buying anything. The woman said " I am not just inviting you, I am begging you to come..." I still declined and later I discovered she was applying to become a Tupperware Consultant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If people are only friendly when they want something...they are only friendly because they want something. However, your friend could ask the women to come round for coffee, too and say, 'don't worry I am not selling anything' with a laugh. Thus allowing the possibility of real friendship and clearly indicating she is not a pushover

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.