Saturday 7 September 2024

Arrival at Doddington Hall

A smashing time was had at Doddington Hall yesterday. Sunny all day, lots of sculptures to look at in the gardens and in the gallery. This is the first one I saw when I arrived at the entrance. 
I first had a look around the kitchen gardens, through the arch just to the right of the Hall.  It's massive, with lots of fruit and vegetables to supply  the farm shop onsite. St Peters Church is next door to the Hall, which I never got to see. Here is some information about it. 
There were some sculptures dotted about here. Can you see me mother. 



A Dalek made from mainly scrap wood and other bits and bobs. 
I had booked the slot of 2.15pm to go inside the Hall. It wasn't very busy so really there was no need to give visitors a specific time. I suppose it would be a good idea to spread visitors out if it was very busy. I had a chat to the ladies at the entrance. There was a small group of people on a guided tour so I tried to avoid getting in their way. Hand held devices were available for anyone who wanted to listen to a commentary as they walked around by themselves. I don't go into the details of historical places such as this. I just like to see how they lived back in the day. 

The owners of this beautiful building are James and Claire Birch. It has been passed down through the generations. Check out the web site for more details. 
Thank you to blogger Ellie for posting about her visit to the Hall. If you want to have a look at her posts, go here. 
I'll post more about Doddington tomorrow. More photo's coming up and more videos. The problem with the video camera cutting out appears to have been solved, by the man in the shop. 
Thanks for popping in. Have a good weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. Just imagine if you were the only person in there and could really take your time. You could spend a whole day and maybe a second. The room that had all the dishes was just stunning!!! And I saw some in display cases too. Just absolutely amazing place. And maintaining the garden has to be a difficult job to get it so perfect. Hubby and I are reading up on it, just amazing. Thanks again mother for taking us along. Looking forward to reading and seeing what else you have 😊😊.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I gather, speaking to staff and volunteers, James is a pretty good boss to work for. He gets stuck in himself doing some of the less glamorous jobs around the place.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the shout out! You look to have had a great visit.
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be published after my approval.