Wednesday 4 September 2024

A look at Lincoln

Good morning. I put these photo's on here last night, but didn't have the energy to add any words to them. Yesterday I was in Lincoln. I parked in my usual spot on Wragby Road. A wide road with no restrictions. It means a fifteen minute walk towards town, down the notorious Steep Hill. I stopped at a smallish car park to read the instructions for parking, out of curiosity. An elderly couple were gazing at a mobile phone in bewilderment. The pay machine had a notice stuck on it saying due to vandalism payment can only be accepted by card, or via an app, whatever that is. After a few minutes they gave up and drove out. They didn't look very mobile so probably couldn't find a spot to park on the road and walk in. 
The purpose of my visit to Lincoln was the camera shop. I wanted to ask why the recording suddenly cut out when I was filming a video. I also wanted to get some information about possible upgrades. Perhaps a newer smaller camera, with a zoom facility and a able to connect an external microphone. He fiddled with my camera without saying very much. I don't like pushy sales people but it was hard to get any conversation out of him. He missed an opportunity there to make a sale. He handed the camera back to me and said that should be alright now. He said he had formatted the card. I have yet to check whether the problem is resolved. 
I filled in the next couple of hours with a walk through the town. No need to take many photo's, I have quite a lot on this blog from previous visits. Here's a post from 2016.  And another one which includes photo's from a walk around the castle walls. 
A quick look at the Cathedral. I last visited here when they had a light show on. 
One quick photo from just inside the door. 
A lovely old building. 

I walked into the castle grounds. They were setting up a lot of really big tents for a forthcoming event. I didn't walk the walls this time. 
I like to bimble around Brayford Wharf, sit on a bench, eat my sandwich, and watch the world go by. There is a family of swans, the seven kids are now teenagers.
Off they go. All together now, this way. I got chatting to a young lady who was trying to get some good shots with her mobile phone. She works nearby and has watched them all grow up. She says they will probably all leave the Wharf in January.  

I did a circuit of the Wharf. At the other end the geese had made camp. 
Time to walk back through the town and up Steep Hill. I rather like this colourful addition to the sign post. 

The town was busy so I didn't hang around. I wanted to pick up some shopping and petrol on the way home. A short diversion to Brigg seemed the sensible thing to do rather than get snarled up in the traffic going through Scunthorpe. The Aldi store at Brigg has much the same layout as my local one, so it didn't take me long to get round it. There is also a Jet garage nearby. Very handy. 
I had an early night last night, in bed at 10pm. I was ready for it. The trouble with that is I was awake early this morning. Up at 6am. 6 - 7 hours is enough. 
Now I need breakfast. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

4 comments:

  1. Reminds me of my visit to Lincoln some 50 years ago, the cathedral front still looks familiar although other parts were shrouded in scaffolding then for repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, go back when you get the chance. There is a lot to see which will easily fill a couple of days.

      Delete
  2. The entrance picture of the cathedral is just amazing. How nice the lady taking pictures watching the swan family grow up. I’m sure she will be sad when they take off on their own. But hopefully she will see a new family show up. 😊 Thanks again for taking us along on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice conversation. We talked about photography in a general sense. She was really pleased when she captured a swan with it's wings outstretched.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.