Friday 6 September 2024

Money saving at it's best.

We always wore hand me down clothes when we were kids. Mum got them from rummage sales. Family passed on those which no longer fit, to be worn by someone smaller and younger. I got my aunties clothes because she was six years older than me. 
Charity shops have pretty much taken over the second hand clothes market now. There are some people who would not step inside one. Sad really that so many turn their nose up at wearing something that someone else has worn before. I don't care as long as the garment is clean.
But what do you do with something that is well beyond it's expiry date? It's stained, it looks scruffy, and it is not worth putting it in the washer to get a bit longer out of it.  
Mayze cat is not bothered, she will lie on anything. The fleecy top cost me £1 years ago. Now on it's third life. Next stop maybe the bin. Or should I cut it up and stuff a cushion with it? 
A sunny start to the day here. Enjoy your Friday. Toodle pip.   ilona

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mayze just enjoying her best life. It is a sunny day here too I have several projects I want to get done. And you will be happy it’s some decorative scarecrows I purchased at a yard sale I am going to bring new life to their weathered faces and share with my kids for fall decoration at their homes. Have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When clothes are past their best and not good enough for charity, I cut the good bits out for patchwork, shopping bags, to make bunting and of course dusters.
    J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my clothes and shoes are charity shopped - I have more money to spend on my dogs that way - Plus I love finding something nice x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely buy anything new and most of my stuff comes from charity shops or unwanted items people in my area place outside their house for free. There’s also skip diving. I’ve saved £££ this way and had a lot more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look in clothes shop windows at the prices and I am shocked. Who is daft enough to pay that when there are rich pickings in charity shops.

      Delete
  5. Everything I'm wearing apart from my shoes and underwear is second hand. I buy from charity shops and ebay and then when I'm bored of it sell it on ebay or donate to charity shops.
    I enjoy hunting for bargains and not taking part in throw away fashion. My bit to help our planet by recycling. I can afford to buy new but choose this way.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret. Yes, I can now afford to buy new clothes, but the only shop you will see me in, apart from charity shops, is Go Outdoors. I need casual outdoor gear for walking, and there's not much of that in charity shops.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.