Monday 16 September 2024

Watch the birdies

It's been a lovely day, wall to wall blue skies. Too nice to stay in. I went to Blacktoft Sands. 
It's on the south bank of the River Ouse. You have to drive through several villages to get to it. Crossing the River Trent at Gunness, I went through Keadby, Amcotts, Luddington, Garthorpe, and Adlingfleet. 
I remember visiting this place when lockdown was a thing, and was very disappointed when I found the gate was locked and it was closed. Why was a walk around the Nature Reserve not allowed. 
I had just missed the reception today, the volunteers had locked up. Never mind, I am here for the walk, and I may spot a few birds. I don't know much about birds anyway. 

Go left down the path for these Hides. 

Maybe there is a Hide down here. 
Yep, found one. Now what kind of birds are those. There are charts on the walls inside the Hide if you want to identify what you are seeing. 

A bit more zoom wanted to bring them closer. I'm still not sure. 

Oooh wow, look at that one. It took about ten shots to get this one picture. There was a man in the Hide with his huge long lens camera, he said it is a heron. 
This is one of the Hides, it is a double decker, upstairs and downstairs. There are six altogether, and I went in all of them looking for some more birds. 
I will never be a proper Twitcher with all the gear. You have to sit for a long time, sometimes hours, for a rare bird to come along. I wouldn't have the patience. 

It was a nice afternoon out. Back home for 7pm and greeted by hungry cats waiting at the door. 
I recoded a video this morning and left it downloading onto yoootooob while I went out. 

Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ilona, I have just heard this and must say that it is one of the most sensible philosophies that I have heard in a long time. I truly believe that the world would be a better place if we all stopped chasing more and more of everything and took more time to enjoy what we already have.
    Best wishes
    Colin in Kent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Colin. Good to see you. Thanks for your comment. There are so many people who feel they are entitled to have anything they want. One upmanship is mainly to blame. Comparing lifestyles, my car is better than yours, you have a new sofa so I'm going to buy one bigger and better. People are easily sucked into a nightmare of spiralling debt, just to belong to the crowd. The comedy sit com, Keeping up Appearances is a good example. It may be funny to most, but it can be a lifetime of hell for those that get caught up in it.

      I have always just got by with my finances. Used credit cards but always paid them off every month. Saved up for things until I had enough to buy what I wanted. I must say that I have never worried about not having enough money.

      Delete
  2. Such an interesting blog post Ilona. I rarely (if ever!) comment on your blog, but your video about not monetising your channel has affected me more than I can say. I LOVE your attitude, but mostly I love the fact that you are completely free from greed, which is such a rare quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Someone once said, what you never have you never miss. So true. My family just scraped by on what my dad gave my mum for housekeeping. He spent most of his wages in the pub. The lessons we learnt from her have been invaluable. Throughout my life all my bills have been paid on time. I could not live with myself if I owed money to someone. The guilt would drag me down.

      People often ask how much money do they need to save before they can retire. I reply, nothing. Retire when you feel you want to. I hit 60 with only £200 in the bank, and still had a mortgage. I embraced the challenge. My pension covers everything I need. I don't qualify for pension credit, so I will miss out on the winter fuel allowance. But that's alright, I have saved up enough to cover my bills.

      Delete
  3. Love the birds. 😊 I total agree with your thoughts on not monetizing, the fun and freedom would be lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. After many years of strict time keeping, clock watching, making deliveries, I now have total freedom on what I do, or don't do. And it's a good feeling.

      Delete

Comments will be published after my approval.