Sunday 6 December 2015

Can I have my breakfast now?

Good morning. I trust you have had a wonderfully relaxed start to the day. I'll let you in on my Sunday morning at Tightwad Towers. I was a little bit late up, unusual for me, but as I awoke at 5am I thought that's a bit too early to get up, so I went off back to snoozeland, and after a short trucking dream I finally got up at 8am.
The usual procedure is that I have my coffee first, the kids have to wait. As Rocky was mooching around my feet and Mayze was at her feeding station on the kitchen window sill watching everything that came out of the fridge, I felt the only way I was going to drink my coffee in peace was to feed them first. Plus then I had to give Heidi her tablet followed by a bowl of lip smacking gravyish Sheba cat food. She takes her tablet with a little bit of indignation, but all is forgiven for my man handling of her when she sees what's in the bowl. 
At last, time to relax with the papers and coffee. Well you can see how successful that was. Heidi was determined that she wanted my full attention by parking herself under my nose. I solved the problem. Open two newspapers side by side, and whichever one she wants to lie on, I read the other. An office chair with wheels makes that easy to do. 
Bags dumped from yesterday. First job after breakfast is to unpack and put away.

Half way through my coffee and thinking about breakfast, the familiar sound of a cat retching made me look up. Oh dear, a hiccup, no, a bit more than a hiccup, vomit. Bugsy had scoffed his breakfast so quickly that it had reappeared, in his bed. Gawd, thanks a lot. I removed said bed outside the back door and finished my coffee.

Bugsy moved to the other bed while I cleaned up the mess and replaced mucky bedding with clean. That will have to go in the washer, now, another job. Clean bed put down. Bugsy preferred to stay where he was.

Rocky waiting patiently for me to say the magical word, 'walkies'. Not yet Rocky, I want my breakfast.

My bed needs putting away first, bedding stacked up on the chair in the corner, camp bed and mattress underneath the table. It takes five seconds to get it out and put it away again. People may think I'm daft camping out in my own living room, but it's surprising how comfortable it is. The bed is very cozy and I drop off to sleep immediately, Rocky by my side on the floor and the cats have their favourite places. It's like living in a bedsit.  
I was given this cyclamen yesterday, lovely isn't it. I think I might have a fancy pot for it somewhere, but then I might not, could have given it away. Can't be bothered to look for it, this empty tin will do the job, a perfect fit. Crikey, it must be about five years old, I don't eat fish any more, gave it up over two years ago. Does that make me a hoarder?

I bought a carton of Rice Milk the other day as I was passing the Cash and Carry, (always worth a look). I've been meaning to try it for a long time, but it's quite expensive, and it would be daft to switch from my cheaper Soya Milk which I like, if it's going to cost more. Anyhow, this was 20p, out of date on the 1st December. I'm not sure if it's long life, but worth a try.

Just as I was about to sit down to breakfast, Bugsy realized he had an empty tummy, and demanded food. Blimey, no peace for me round here. I gave him a small portion of chopped chicken. That's all you're getting. 
At last, I can sit down and eat. This is how I have my breakfast, they say you shouldn't eat and look at a screen at the same time, but I don't care. I like it here. The Rice Milk by the way is fine, perfectly acceptable. I will get some more when I am passing. They only have half a pallet though, that's the problem with short dated food, one day it's there, the next it's gone. That's why it pays me to be flexible with my eating. I can chop and change my diet.

Ready to take Rocky out and it's raining. It will pass over, looks like it will be a dodging the showers day today. I'll let you get on with your Sunday and I'll get on with mine. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip

20 comments:

  1. There are day I miss a cat demanding attention as well as snuggling in bed. Today was not one. I brought the coffee to bed, read out loud to the man a story about a painting and did not actually get out of it until ... Ehrm ... Noon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving us a glimpse into your Sunday and yes it is early morning here in the Midwest and I am drinking my first cup of tea of the day before attending 8:00 am worship service.

    Is it perhaps warmer to camp out in your living room? If so, makes sense and very cozy with your pets all around.

    Blessings.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds pretty much like our start to the day, lol
    Pets take precendence every time.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Briony, I love my little family, even though I am at their beck and call.

      Delete
  4. I am sure you do not mind catering to your furry family's demands Ilona. Your cyclamen is lovely and I can imagine you whipping up something decorative from your crafty bits and pieces to disguise the fishy plant pot holder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here- as I have been reading your post I have got up and opened the study door to let Humphrey in [so he doesn't rip the carpet in] and he's immediately decided he doesn't want to stay and off he's gone again. The only rule with cats and closed doors is that they are always on the wrong side of it! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like rice milk and also soya. I can't have milk with my iron tablets so I often have soya first thing (don't bother about the miniscule amount of milk in my tea) but if i'm having cereal (have to have boxed cereal now with added iron), I have my wheatties with soya milk. Your animals look very comfy. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pink cyclamen would look just a little prettier if not in a tuna whatsit pot, tee-hee! The eye is drawn to container, not the lovely flower!
    Love the beds you have for your moggies!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get up for work at 6am and the first thing I do is come downstairs and feed the cat. We pet lovers are complete pushovers aren't we? I don't get chance to read your blog every day as I work in a school all day and am either at university or volunteering the rest of the time but I do try to read it at least several times a week and really enjoy it. Why do you sleep on a camp bed in the lounge (I must have missed that post)? I am guessing it's only during the winter to keep warm and cosy but maybe I'm wrong. I am vegan so drink rice milk quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VC. Yes, you must have missed a post, I have mentioned it before. Rocky was sleeping upstairs on the bed with me, but he started to become unsettled, waking up two or three times in the night, and waking me. I was taking him down to the garden because I thought he might need to pee. I carry him up and down, he can't manage the stairs with his arthritis. I noticed that he couldn't settle on the sofa either, always shuffling to get comfortable, I realized he preferred hard surfaces, a cushion on the floor or his plastic bed.

      To save me carrying him up and down I decided it would be easier for me to sleep downstairs. He wouldn't like it if I wasn't in the same room as him, and I sleep better if I am close to him. We both get a good nights sleep, he lies on the duvet hanging over the side of the camp bed, on the floor.

      Delete
  9. My cat eats her wet food in the late afternoon and Heaven forbid I try to eat my own dinner before feeding her. That won't work because she stares me down until I give her her food.

    Lovely cyclamen. I know that you have had quite a bit of dreary weather in the UK so I'm sure the flower is a nice bright spot.

    Hope you have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been thinking of getting some sort of daybed/cot thing for sleeping on my porch this winter - don't want to move my double bed out there as it would fill half the room. Plus I'd need hired help to even dismantle and move it now. Ugh. Anyway. It makes sense to me that you enjoy your camp bed!
    Oh, and I sometimes wrap a strip of fabric around a jar or can to use it for a planter...takes 5 seconds and can look quite nice :)
    Enjoy your Sunday, Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh My! I enjoyed your post so much while having my coffee! My Miss Lily-girl is my 13 yr old rescue kitty. She has been my BFFFFF (best friendly, funny, furry, feline friend) for 12 years and RULES! She, too, occasionally eats her kibble too fast and up it comes - vomit. What to do? Clean it up and love her anyway! And, yes, I feed her first or I am stared at until I do! BTW love the cyclamen! Shirley K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like my morning - much time spent in seeing to the needs of the cat and clearing up after it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I don't have pets any more, I can get up and get my own coffee and breakfast first! My kids are grown too but when they were little, they came first. Yes, can I ask (like others did) why you sleep on a camp bed? Is it because you have more heat downstairs than upstairs? Makes sense if that's what it is. Love your new plant but do find a nice pot to put it in. It's so pretty! Hope you had a very nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K. See above, I have answered on VC's comment. Thanks.It is slightly warmer downstairs as well.

      Delete
    2. Kearny girl, I agree re the fish tin plant pot. That's not at all like out the artistic Ilona that I so admire. You need to get that sorted ASAP Ilona, LOL. Your fans are waiting.

      Delete
  14. My daughter has a Shetland shepherd dog who will eat so fast that he will often throw up afterwards. The solution , a stainless steel ball , quite heavy ( made for this purpose) that sit in the middle of his food bowl . This way , he has to push it with his nose before every bite . That slows him down considerably , and the result is no more throwing up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello.I've been smiling all through my reading about today's start.Our routines bring a lot of joy and continuity around here.But I have to say that since Mishka died Sadie is being far too spoiled.We hope to have a new furry family member someday sooner than later.I do remember why you're on the cot and sleeping downstairs...makes perfect sense to me and you are such a very very good mummy! We've had doggies that were pukers in the past,ate so quickly they'd hork it right back up.If it was on a clean floor area I would wait a few minutes before cleaning it up because knowing dogs as I do...they would just scarf it down again,much to my chagrin.Eeewwww,I know!I don't think cats do that do they? And....many pinterest sites have plants potted right inside the cans and are thought to be very chic rustic "country" décor.So you are very with it,Ilona.Thank you,bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi how lovely you are to share your decorations with the neighbours and go to such lengths to keep your furry pals happy. I'm in a similar boat being at the beck and call of a charming, elderly, wee rescue dog. You are always on the ball so you prob already know this but watch your B12 it takes a very long time to deplete one you give up all meat and fish but once it's down it's dangerously bad for your health. Best wishes and thanks for spreading some Christmas cheer. I love your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.