Wednesday 9 December 2015

It's in the bag

Hello. Every day seems to be a race against time at the moment with only eight hours of daylight. Sewing by natural daylight is much easier on the eyes. Housework, what little I do, is easier if you can actually see that  your efforts at keeping the house clean make a difference. Tidying the garden is is much easier in daylight, ha ha. It's so much easier to say stuff it and simply sit on your bum and do nothing. Help, I NEED more daylight.
I've been busy making this bag. Normally I would run them up quickly but I wanted to make a special bag for a very good friend. After faffing about with several ideas, I finally came up with plan xyz, this one. It needed to be sturdy to carry heavy weights, the fabric is heavy duty, thankfully it went through the machine at the point where the handles are attached. I didn't have enough of the same fabric for the whole bag, so I combined two colours. I think they compliment each other very well. Although the blue looks like denim, it isn't. The panel on the front should have been something else, but I think the flower works very well. Simple but effective. 

I put a gusset in it due to the amount of stuff that will be carried in it. 

I added my own name to the bottom, because the space at the front is taken up by the recipients name.

I'm well pleased with that, the effort was worth it. I am often asked if I can make a certain style of bag. Yes, I probably could make just about any bag if I put my mind to it, but it has to be something I want to do, born from an idea in my mind. I mostly make a bag not knowing where it will end up. I hang on to it for a while, then decide who to give it to, or occasionally sell it, waiting for the right moment. I sold the patchwork bag for £5 at the Christmas fair, it was worth a lot more, but I don't do it to make money. I'm just pleased that someone is going to get it for a present.

Must go, racing against time again. Dog to go out. Catch you soon. Toodle pip

34 comments:

  1. That's a great, sturdy looking bag Ilona. Your work always looks so neat and well finished whatever you've turned your hand to. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you kept a count of how many you've made? This one is really nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you have excelled yourself with this bag Ilona. It is really lovely and your friend will be delighted with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing bag!! A lucky recipient indeed,xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of your best bags. Lucky Janice. I'd definitely purchase your bags.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone, really a great bag and I like that you just make them when and how you choose to. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful Ilona. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled with it.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, always great workmanship. A lovely bag. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  9. it really is a lovely bag, your care and attention to detail is quite evident,, your approach to creating is the very same as mine to painting,, I like that,, so many people are so regulated in their thinking,, I like to fly by the seat of my pants, lol, the thought grows then is born,, sounds like you work that way also,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I try to un-regulate my brain, start with an idea and wait for it to grow. Have a picture of where I want to be, then think about how to get there.

      Delete
  10. Great job on the bag, Ilona! I'm sure your friend will be ever so pleased to receive such a thoughtful, handmade gift. Cheers, Nanny Anny in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously swanky bag Ilona; if your pal does not like it (what am I saying, she'll love it!) I'd be more than happy to find it a good home here 'down south'.
    I'm full of admiration for you folks who are a dab hand with a sewing machine. Me, I have difficulty threading a neeedle and bless the chap who invented 'wundaweb' when my jeans need shortening.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A really delightful bag Ilona. I think your friend will be delighted with such a stylish one off bag. I know I would be.Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi.Too true re:the daylight.It goes so very swiftly with these shorter days especially if the sky is overcast and dull.We are enjoying a gorgeous sunny,mild day here and a few more extra blocks have been done this week by myself and doggie.Your beautiful gift (of bag)will be much enjoyed and proudly carried,I'm sure.Lovely work and design there,Ilona.I've been staying up very late the last few days reading and it is having an effect.I just need to learn when to put a good book down!Silly me.Thank you for sharing,D.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it's lovely. I do wish I could have one as I do love bags, some ladies collect shoes but me it's bags! Isn't " gusset " a lovely word!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I bet there aren't many former lorry drivers who could do that. It's lovely Ilona. Well done. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. that's a very pretty bag

    ReplyDelete
  17. Couldn't agree more about the daylight issue. For me today it was "Sew quilt in the sunny kitchen for due-soon first grandchild" or "Go out on bike, get sun, get exercise, do small amount of shopping, get free Waitrose coffee". The latter won the day, and a good choice it was too, because although I didn't later get much sewing done I felt a million times better mentally than I would have done otherwise. But oh it is lovely when the days get longer and one can do BOTH! And the shortest day is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful!your very talented!i think you should take orders for your Bags?i would love one!☺

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the bag, your so talented Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a really lovely bag, Ilona, I'm sure Janice will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bag is beautiful and as others have said, your work is so neat and meticulous.

    You are a good friend, Ilona.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to be Janice as I would also love this bag. Please start and take orders.
    I have one of your bags which goes everywhere with me.
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful bag Ilona, very professional. Such lovely colours and design and I just love the personal touch with the names. You really have a gift for crafting xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. The bag is beautiful and it looks like you lined it too.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. No, it's not lined. It's a heavy fabric with a rubbery back to it, no fraying so no need to finish the edges.

      Delete
  25. Gorgeous bag, I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My daughter and I are making our first bag to give as a Xmas gift. I hope it turns out as lovely as yours. You inspire me every time I pop in and read what you have been up to. Thanks Ilona and best wishes for the festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Ilona, I love this bag and the colours complement each other brilliantly.
    I'm sure Janice will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are underselling yourself! I think £5 too little for a handmade bag! Up your prices, girl! Love this bag, it's really great! It's neat in both senses of the world!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the bag and it even has my name on it! I'm sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The bag you sent me still looks as nuew as the day it arrived. You do use lovely hardwearing fabrics and yes your handles are super strong, it's carried all sorts of things over the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.