Friday 7 April 2023

Tuesday morning at Whitby

Hello Good Friday. The sun is shining so we might be lucky for a walk out later. I will wind up the Whitby visit now, so we can move on to Pickering. 
A walk on the beach as the sun was rising. Lots of happy dogs. The rules for walking dogs on the beach change on May 1st. When the holiday season kicks off dogs are only allowed on the beach further along towards Sandsend. 




 Climb back up to the Promenade. Anyone with mobility difficulties can take the lift up and down. 
Whitby Pavilion is an entertainment and exhibition venue. Looking at the advertisement boards they have a busy season ahead. 

You know when you meet a stranger for the first time, and you get a feeling that this person is going to be on your wavelength. This is happening to me more frequently now. I think  some people are keen to stop and have a chat. Of course there will always be those who are in a hurry and don't want to engage in conversation. Their thoughts are elsewhere and they wish to stay in their bubble without interruptions. 
I am drawn to dogs of all kinds, and love to see them happy, so naturally I want to greet them. If the owner responds with a smile, then it's possible that they will stop for a few minutes. I saw a woman with three dogs, they loved a bit of attention when I made a fuss of them. The woman was in no hurry and we ended up in a 30 minute conversation. 
She said she was from Barnsley, she was fed up with working for the Council for 33 years and decided a change of scenery was needed. Her and her husband sold their house and moved to Whitby just eight weeks ago. She is now training to be a teaching assistant and the smile on her face said everything. We discovered that we are both singing from the same song sheet. I apologised for taking up so much of her time, she said no, I have enjoyed it and I have learnt something today. A stranger after my own heart. She was in a place where she didn't want to be, and made some changes. 
I was going to make this a short walk because I wanted to take a steady ride back, stopping off at a couple of places. I spotted the distinctive bright yellow tour bus down on the quayside, so I made my way through the narrow streets down to the bottom. By this time the cafes were opening up and people were sitting in the sunshine having a coffee. A yellow bus arrived so I paid the fare of £7, for a 45 minute ride. 
Then it was time to leave Whitby. I didn't have a lot of time so I made the decision to stop off at Pickering to see if there were any steam trains about. That will be covered in my next post. 
Have a nice Easter. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.