Thursday 4 May 2023

Three churches and a chapel

I joined a group walk this morning. We met at the Village Hall in Scotton not far from Scotter and Kirton. It was a big group, I reckon about 50 to 60 people had arrived for the start. The car park was full. The Village Hall is next to the Church. I am not sure of the correct pronunciation of the name of it. 
I tagged on the end of the group, chatting to the designated back marker as we went. They have three people in charge. The leader, the middle person, and the back marker. 
It was a 2.9 miles walk, which took an hour and a half. This is a very short walk for me, so when the group had all left to go home, I did it all again so I could take some photo's. 

There are some very posh houses in Scotton. I noticed that there was a smallish estate of very big houses going up, which would probably sell for about a million. 
The pub was getting ready for the forthcoming celebrations. Around the back a team of workers was erecting a huge marquee. 

When I had seen enough of Scotton I got in my car and drove to Northorpe to have a look at the church there. This is St John the Baptist church. 
There is also a Methodist Chapel at Northorpe. It is in a very poor state of disrepair.

I was plotting my route to go home when I had the idea of stopping off at Scawby for a short walk. Might as well take advantage of the nice weather. This is St Hybalds Church. There is a long path up to the front door, lined with these big evergreen bushes. Two ladies were attaching a lot of crochet'd decorations to them. 
I went round the side of the building and found this lovely pink tree. Had to take more photo's. 


The door was open. Tea and coffee was on offer. It was getting late, I didn't have time to sit and chat. 
This was very pretty. Fresh flowers in little jars of water. It reminded me of a summertime nativity scene. 


On the map there is a footpath going through Scawby Park. I found the sign for it. The path goes right through this field. 
Erm . . . I think I will give that a miss. I couldn't see which one was the bull, it was mostly cows and their calves. 
I made one more stop as I was passing through Kirton on the way home. My friend has a shop there, so it was a quick hello. He was busy with customers. 
My short three mile, half a day walk, turned into an all day jolly. Might as well, nothing to rush back for. I will probably join another group walk if they are walking in an area I am not familiar with. 
Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be published after my approval.