Monday 11 January 2010

A ton of glass

Those that are familiar with my frugal lifestyle know I don't usually buy something unless I absolutely need it. So it may come as a bit of a shock to you when I have to confess that I bought something today that I don't have a use for....yet.
I like to browse the charity shops because you can be lucky and come across something that has been at the top of your 'wanted' list for ages, or you might find something pretty unique or amazing, or you could find such a fantastic bargain it is hard to walk out of the shop without it. I was browsing the bric a brac table in our Scope Shop this afternoon and came across this...

A carrier bag full of glass stones. There's small round ones like marbles, bigger flat ones, clear glass and opaque, a lot of blue ones, and some are metalic. They are usually displayed in a dish as a table decoration. I would say there is at least one thousand if not more, I don't fancy counting them there are that many, they weigh a ton. And they only cost £1 for the whole bag.

Now all I have to do is think of a good idea for them. I have seen somewhere where you make a long narrow sausage out of some thin fabric, stuff beads inside one at a time, and tie a knot between each one, and you end up with a necklace. I might try that. I wonder if I can stick them to something with the hot glue gun? Hmm...I can see me doing a little experimenting tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. You lucky girl! Don't forget to save a few for putting in a clear glass vase to hold your beautiful spring flowers!! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!So many exciting uses for them.Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ilona,
    Can't wait to see what you come up with. Your pond was brilliant. I love charity shops also, but where I live they are quite expensive, I can't wait for the car boots that are out in the fields to start up again,usually about March, thats where the bargains are.
    Briony

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right about the car boots, Briony, they are an Aladins cave for crafty bits and pieces. I like delving into the boxes tucked under the tables, everything for 5p, great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those glass stones look so tactile! They are really inviting you to dive in with your hands and let them trickle through your fingers! I'm looking forward to see what you do with them.

    I love your rock pool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot glue will only hold for a little while, silicone works well though but it smells bad. I've decorated the edges of flower pots with them, knew someone that covered a bowling ball with them to decorate the garden and they look lovely in a clear glass dish in the sunshine. I love your rock pond by the way, so very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving the rock pool. My friend found a very cheap mirror and used tile grout to stick glass pebbles to the wood on the surround as she couldnt afford the exact mirror she wanted. so she made it her self. it is lovely, and looks amazing in her bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a built in brick planter by the front door, had plants in it. Kitties thought it was a litter box. Everytime I opened the door to walk in the house I about fell over it smelt so bad! Took out dirt, plants, and cat poop. Replaced with what you show in your photo! Looks fabulous and no temptation for kitties no more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ilona. I used to do delivery work and have seen some lovely gravel paths with a few of those glass beads sprinkled around.It really adds a little bit of beauty to make you smile .

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.