Wednesday 23 September 2015

Love this recycling, making new from old lark

Hello. Had a computer blip then, hit the keys and nothing happened. Closed it down and opened it again, and here I am. Very strange. I didn't have anything to write about this morning, but stuff happens, always something around the corner. I thought I would finish off this heart that I cut out the other day. So what are the red petals in the centre? Another idea, keep all the old silk and plastic flowers you have because they will come in useful for a sewing project. Or you can do what I do and look in the bins in the churchyard for any that are thrown away. 
A piece of red cord for the loop, small red beads, and silver sequins.

The little white butterfly was cut from a strip of them, can't remember where they came from, someone gave them to me. I added blue French knots and stripes on the body. 
The flower minus some petals, some of them are faded but there are some that can be used for another project.

I had a walk down the road to visit my friend Irene for coffee this morning. A car stopped beside me, it was another friend Sandra. She handed me a bag of dry cat food asking if I could use it because her fussy cat won't eat it. Thank you very much I said. I like it when people give me things. If my cats don't like it I can pass it on to the rescue cats. 
So why have I got a photo of the Times newspaper here? I was sat with Irene supping her coffee and scoffing her biscuits, when the conversation got round to recycling. I was telling her about a programme I have been watching on the catch up tv. Sometime in the future she will be moving and she said they will be de cluttering and mentioned about taking stuff to the council tip. I said, well let me see anything before you get rid of it. There was a copy of the Times on the table so I asked what they did with them when they had been read, in the recycling box she said. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I said I like reading the Times, so the outcome is that she is going to save them for me, and I will call every Saturday morning where I will find the papers in the porch and I just take them. Good arrangement eh! Oh, she also gave me some ribbon and lace and a tube of glitter. All free. 
I spotted a skip on someones driveway while out dog walking this afternoon. There wasn't anything of interest in it, they were having a new bathroom fitted so it was mainly broken bits of old bathroom and rubble. But on the top was this wooden bathroom cabinet. The man let me have it. It needs sanding down and either re varnishing or painting. There is no damage so I will be able to give it a new lease of life. 

The man brought out some offcuts of plastic coated boards, they fit together in a tongue and groove fashion. Must be something I can do with them. They have a shiny white plastic finish.

They are hollow so lightweight, some kind of cladding.

I've been hooked on the BBC programme, Money for Nothing, and I'm working my way through all the episodes on the i player catch up. The presenter is Sarah who goes to the council dumps and picks up junk that people are throwing away, and turns it into something new with the help of her recycling experts. Man hole covers become vanity units, a road spring became a floor standing lamp, chairs are recovered and painted, and monopoly trinkets became silver charms. It's really interesting and has some good ideas for those interested in re purposing their junk. Take a look at the web site if you want to know more. You can click on the episodes from there. I'm not sure if this is available outside the UK, I can't find it on yooootoooob, sorry.

That's me done for tonight. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip.

16 comments:

  1. You are able to create the most unique items from every one else's throw aways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on the program, will definitely give it a try. I would have salvaged the cabinet too. A lick of paint will modernise it, I can't tell what the knobs look like but they could be either changed or painted too. Its good fun. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been watching. Great fun.I just had to install a free app on my tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the clips not the episodes, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how much people will pay for the up-cycled things. There is no way I would but a lamp made from an old jerry can for several £100.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi.Another good way to use odds and ends in a craft project.Very nice stitching and creative thinking in that heart.I like the free(,what we call here) medicine cabinet.It will be interesting to see it's makeover,Ilona.I repaint and repurpose things often.How nice to a read of the papers with the arrangements made re: them.The universe is smiling upon you,I think.(.Hokey,I know, but yes I really do believe that it is.) We have gorgeous fall weather here today and it is the autumn equinox too.I just love this time of year.Best wishes,D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your heart, so much detail. Lovely aranagement with the newspapers. Bathroom cabinet would look so pretty painted, well done for saving.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you never fail to give me inspiration - rummaging in cemetery bins hehe. love the heart, it is beautiful. I didn't know about the programme so will have a look when I get time. have a grear day

    ReplyDelete
  9. The heart is beautiful - it would make a lovely Christmas tree decoration! You are clever x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't aware of the program I will be watching. Love those sort of programs. Your decoration is lovely. I think I'll be adapting it for a Christmas decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your hearts and think they will make lovely gifts. Amazing what you find in skips. In the last few weeks I've found a decent bike, a tent , a wind up lantern and a huge amount of wood for our woodburner. Have found the programme entertaining but think you do far better for pennies. You should have your own TV show or youtube channel. Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just watched the first programme, I'll certainly watch the rest now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the link, have sent to my tablet to watch later, wouldn't have known about the programme so thanks for that. llove the heart and the freebies - Julie t

    ReplyDelete
  14. I try to use as much recycled stuff in my craft and card making. People have stopped chucking things in the bin now at work and run everything past me to see if and how I can use it first. It's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such neat blanket stitch! And what a find that cupboard is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have inspired me to make your darling hearts!
    I have all the materials, now it just getting started. So, for more inspiration, I go back and look at your older posts.
    This one is great too!
    Thank You!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.