Monday 13 November 2017

In their former life these bags were...........

Hello. Anyone recognize this fabric? I posted about it nearly a year ago. My friends sold up and moved to Scotland, they had to get rid of most of their furniture because it was not needed in their new smaller abode. They swapped a three bed house for an apartment. 
I had three single divan beds from them, some of the wood has been used, and some is stored in my garage. I stripped the fabric from around the sides of the beds, cut it off with a Stanley knife, and washed it. To be honest I thought it might fall apart, the beds were I would say at least 20 years old. 
It didn't fall apart, so now I have used it to make four shopping bags. 
The shiny satiny floral fabric is quilted onto foam, with a lining as well, so the bags are quite strong. They are not as big as a Bag for Life type of bag, 12 inches wide and 16 inches high, but big enough. They will be on the Chat and Craft stall at our Christmas Fair, I reckon they will get snapped up. 


Bailey poodle dog walk done this morning, then sitting with the ladies at Chat and Craft, had lunch, now back to sewing. I might have to put the heat on, it's a bit parky.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

11 comments:

  1. Your bags are pretty and look very strong. I liked your wet felt g in your last post.

    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that fabric and if I was at the stall I would most certainly snap them up. Do you ever do mail order, Ilona?
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those beds Ilona.If I had saved them with good intentions of using them for something useful they would still be in the garage.I use a similar size bag if I pop to just get a card and chemist.I didn't have any heat in the house until around 5pm.I wore a fleece and gilet and the dogs were snuggled on their fleeces after the walk but it was a bit chilly x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Freezing here tonight, woolly hat needed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my woolly hat out as well. Not had it on in the house yet, it's only a matter of time. Ha ha.

      Delete
  5. I am also wondering if mail order is possible. These bags look like they come from that expensive Cath Kidston shop (except yours look much better quality). I would absolutely love one if that was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha,wack that heating up girl and use that winter fuel allowance like me. I hate it too hot but since hubby had his kidney transplant he feels the cold.He is sitting in his jumper ,nearly on top of the radiator. I am in a tee shirt in the opposite corner! It will be like this till bl..dy Spring. Lol. Love those bags.Mine is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jayne and Joy. Sorry to disappoint, but I don't sell mail order. Reasons being, I don't want any pressure on me to make bags, it's something I do now and again if I have an hour or two to spare, and if I have any fabric that is suitable. I don't want to become a production line churning them out. The postage costs would make them too expensive, you would be better buying local.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice recycling! My mom made a lot of fabric bags. She'd be in competition with you! Now that there's bags for shopping I have many bags. Almost too many. Did get a few more as a couple started to fall apart. Then I find ones that have cool designs. Sigh! Keep up the good sewing jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bags are so pretty. I love the fabric. I knit an alpaca throw and wool shawl to wear when it's cold. It does really help to reduce the heating bill.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.