Monday 6 November 2017

Safe by Chris Ryan. Book review

Hello. This book caught my eye in the mobile library last week. I think I must be the first one to borrow it as it looks brand new. The author has written quite a lot of fiction books, which looking down the list would not be my cup of tea. Chris Ryan (aka Colin Armstrong), was in the SAS and retired from the British army in 1994 after sixteen years service. He made SAS history with the longest escape and evasion by an SAS trouper or any other soldier, covering 190 miles  between Baghdad and the Syrian Border. Since leaving the army he has presented and produced many television programmes.  

The book. There are lots of useful tips on keeping safe when out and about. I have to say though that I consider some of them to be common sense, I practice a lot of them automatically, like being aware of  what is going on around you. A lot of it is down to observational skills, he writes about the importance of maintaining a heightened level of awareness on the street. 

There are chapters about staying safe on the street, in your car, in your home, and on holiday. Cyber security is covered, keeping children and the elderly safe, these are the normal every day situations where we can keep ourselves safe. All useful information there. 

Then it goes into more serious aspects of personal safety in unusual circumstances. This book is right up to date with how to stay safe in a dangerous world. If you want to know what to do if you are caught up in a mass terror incident, in a riot, how to run and hide, staying safe in a hostage situation, or a biochemical or nuclear attack, then this is your book. Then there was a bit about how to fight, and identifying and understanding firearms. I must admit I skimmed through all of this. The chances of me becoming caught up in anything like this are very slim. Me who doesn't like crowds, who will never fly again, and who prefers to wander the countryside. 

Ok, I've just opened a page, How to deal with a torture situation. A lot of his tips come from his experiences in the SAS. The book appears to be in two parts. The first part for everyday people going about their everyday lives. Useful for most of us. The second part reads more like a survival manual for young army recruits. Interesting for those who want to know what goes on behind the scenes during times of conflict, but I was not that interested. 

To sum up, if you are not very confident when you are out and about, read the first part it will help you. If you read the second part you will scare yourself to death, and worry even more about your safety and may never step outside your front door again. 

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon. 
Toodle pip

9 comments:

  1. I am quite nervous of everything and always have been.I realize that this could make me a target and so I try to act more confident when outside.In certain circumstances when I have sensed there is someone unpleasant around I quietly sneak away.If I had noticed someone watching me and I have felt uncomfortable I have changed my routine.I have taken note of my gut feeling.When I was young though I got into some worrying situations x

    ReplyDelete
  2. May I ask why you have decided to never fly again? JanF

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter has just come back from Paris, she said there was a worrying number of peddlers by the Eiffel tower at night when they went to see it lit up, one grabbed her hand and wouldn't let go. She said as soon as you got rid of one another would be there bothering you. Other than that she felt safeish I think but I'm glad she is back now. She went with a friend of hers so both young girls doing the sights. She is very aware of people around her, on a couple of occasions she has mentioned something to her friend who was oblivious and didn't have the same awareness at all. I am a little on the negative, stay safe sort of thing when I talk about her going places, but in some ways it has made her a bit more self aware and safety conscious when out and about. I still worry for them though. They had a great time, but she keeps mentioned Korea now which worries me sick, then camp America omg does it never end chuckle. I have to grin bear and hope for the best as she will go where she wants to in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bit scary, I would hate to be around dodgy characters. I suppose the youngsters can cope with it better though.

      Delete
  4. Haa...brilliant!! I was thinking, that could read Chris Ryans "The One that got away"....might give you a few tips when are out on your rambles....especially on the art of escape & evasion!! Keep this blog going, Gal!! Its brilliant, & I have tried no end of your tips...they work!! Toothpaste is the latest.I will NEVER buy the expensive stuff again...what a rip off. 50p tescos own brand is actually BETTER than the expensive stuff...how mad is that!! Bye for now, keep the faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Dean, nice to see you back. You've just reminded me, I need to get a tube of toothpaste. Pity they dumped the cheapo Value one though, but the next cheapest is still cheaper than the big name ones, and as you say, it's better.

      Delete
  5. I watched those SAS Are You Tough Enough? programmes last year, I was interested in how the men are trained to cope with some of the most dangerous and stressful situations imaginable. I'm safety conscious - I am wary of walking through woods on my own and wouldn't be very confident about walking across open farmland etc., as much as I enjoy the outdoors. Women on their own are vulnerable, I know the chances of something terrible happening are rare but even so, I think it's sensible to stay alert and aware. I do explore London on my own and enjoy it, I've walked parts of the Thames Path and across a lot of Hampstead Heath, however I try to pick my times when I know there will be plenty of people around. Some parts of the Thames Path go through some very dodgy areas and I wouldn't risk those. I haven't flown for many years - as much as I'd like to do more travelling, I don't have the confidence to fly on my own, too much airport hassle and so on. In London the latest thing is the moped muggers, a cafe in Highgate was targeted this week, very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A classic on staying safe & teaching kids to do the same: The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker. Particularly good for parents.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.