Thursday 2 November 2017

Octopuses Garden has a frame

Hello. I've been working for most of the day framing the Octopuses Garden picture. I wanted to use drift wood, but had to figure out how to attach it to the picture as it isn't dead straight, and how to do the corners. I didn't want to saw the wood, but in the end it was the easiest option. 
First I machine stitched a broad black band around the edges of the picture. I used heavy duty cotton so it can stand a bit of pulling and stretching. Then I cut a board slightly bigger than the picture as I wanted to screw the driftwood onto the borders. 
I put some double sided tape around the edge of the board to hold the fabric in place while I neatly stitched the corners and laced it across with strong thread.


I cut the four best pieces of wood to the right length, and wrapped some thick jute string around them. They are separate, not tied together. Then I screwed them to the board from the back.





I covered the back with a piece of denim. Got to finish the stitching and add a couple of hooks for hanging.

It looks really fab, I'm well chuffed with it.

Thanks everyone for updating your miles. You are all doing brilliantly well. If you haven't done so, you can go back to the post on the 1st of November at any time and add your progress.

Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip.

23 comments:

  1. Oh Ilona it's brilliant. I would never have thought of doing it like that it looks really great.

    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down, one of your absolute best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a true artist! It looks much better than described. Beautiful!
    momsav

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luv,luv,luv it ! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love how the frame turned out! I love love love the underwater scene, I agree, one of your best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ilona, thanks again for your daily posts. I really enjoy reading what is going on in your part of England, and see how you make retirement interesting and happy.

    I am also grateful that you did the walking challenge, walking changed my life in so many ways it is hard to believe. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are seriously gorgeous octopuses x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I'm a new visitor here and totally enjoyed your beautiful work of art. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have the best ideas. This is a picture to light up the dreary November days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing. I love the way you wrapped the driftwood with the jute. You are so talented to envision this project. Wonderful! Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful colours. The way you have framed it is perfect. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always enjoyed your posts Ilona. I've been lurking around her for ages, but this is my first comment. Thanks for sharing your practical tips and beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the frame - very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ilona, I love all your pictures. Your colours are so vibrant and look so cheerful. Thank you for sharing them with us, they always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your artwork! The driftwood frame is perfect. I love it!

    I hope you keep the walking challenge going next year as I would like to join in. I started walking 4 miles a day last month or so and have kept at it .... weight dropping off.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your talent in so many ways makes me dizzy. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks lovely, Ilona. The driftwood and twine frame is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely wonderful! I love the bright happy colors. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the way your ideas all come together!,a brilliant piece of work Ilona.The drift wood is just perfect for it.I really do think...and i love all your work....that this one is the Best!!!!!,Debi,xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! The frame fits the theme perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great picture and the frame makes it extra special. I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely octupus' garden and frame! What a great idea! Keep the creative juices flowing then life will be full of surprises in your work! ".} Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.