Thursday 25 January 2024

Land of the free, at a price

The latest consultation has opened into plans for a new village between Harrogate and York ahead of the submission of a revised planning application.

The village to be named Maltkiln has been proposed for the Hammerton and Cattal area and includes between 3,000 and 4,000 homes, as well as two primary schools, shops and a GP surgery.

Read about it here. 


Locals have been left fuming after plans were approved for a solar farm to be built on farm land. Councillors gave the green light for the 76-acre farm near Milverton, Somerset, which would put the farm out of action for 40 years, until at least 2064.

Read about it here. 

Our green and pleasant land is shrinking. They want to build new houses to accommodate our overseas guests. They want the UK to become self sufficient and supply our own energy. If they carry on getting involved in wars our supplies imported from other parts of the world may suddenly stop. 

The demand for farm land will lead to less food being produced. Farmers being bought out, new generations not coming into the business. Not a good prospect. Cargo ships stuck in the Red Sea. All leading to the same end. 

I had a shocker utilities bill yesterday. £430 for three months. The highest it's ever been. I took it into Coffee Morning and asked if it was high. They all said, that's about normal these days, everything has gone up. Now I start cutting back and rationing my use. I can pay it of course. The Government gave me £500, which I used to pay my car insurance. Good job I squirrel money away to cover large bills. 

I need some breakfast. Toodle pip.   ilona 

6 comments:

  1. Despoliation of agricultural land in the name of Nut Zero is a total disgrace, I'm sure these arrogant numpties passing these planning applications have zero grasp of where the food on their Waitrose shelves comes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that every inch of green space is at risk. I can see why the farmers are rebelling.

      Delete
  2. I think it is now more difficult to cut back Ilona, because a lot of the increased price is on the standing charge, and you have no option but to pay that. H x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is becoming more difficult, Helen. I wonder if more people will consider going off grid. I notice that there are more people giving up bricks and mortar to live in a van. Can't blame them. I don't know how young families manage to pay their bills.

      Delete
  3. What is considered utilities in the UK? Does this cover your electricity ,heating, water? In Canada everything is separate. We were a small farming town for 100 years. The last ten has seen builders buying up empty land and farms and building neighbourhoods. Our town is quickly filling up.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, utilities are gas, electricity, and water . In my area we pay one company for the supply of fresh clean water delivered to our homes. Waste water goes into the drains and we pay another company for that. Gas and electricity can be supplied by one company, or be split into two separate companies. Duel fuel is supposed to be cheaper.

      Delete

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.