Saturday 20 January 2024

Too risky

 The walking home in the dark video garnered quite a few comments about my safety. The word safety has been bandied around a lot in the last few years. How do you know what is safe and what isn't? Everyone has their own measures of what is safe. I say it is down to personal risk assessment. All activities have a degree of risk attached to them. We can all work out how risk averse we are, and whether to take chances with anything we are not sure about. 

In the video I was about 20 minutes from home, in an area I walk frequently. I didn't get my torch out, even when I walked through a small wood. I know the ground like the back of my hand. I very rarely see anyone else in that area. If I walk in an unfamiliar place I would get back before dark. That is my risk assessment. 

I would be more nervous walking about in a city or town centre at night. I may never do that again. My assessment would tell me there are lots of places to hide in a concrete jungle, and to expect that someone might be lurking around a corner. I would be more cautious in that setting. 

Every activity we do, every encounter that we have on a day to day basis, can be risk assessed. I think it is risky to drink several pints of beer every night. My dad did and died at 46 of a heart attack. I think it is risky to eat out a lot. You don't know how clean the kitchens are, or what they are putting in the food. It is risky to climb a mountain, I won't try that. It would be too risky for me to get into a swimming pool. I hate deep water and would probably sink in a panic. Other people love swimming. 

When you go through life you sometimes have to listen to warnings from others. It would be folly not to.  Others may be possibly more aligned to the actual risk of some activities, depending on their experiences and qualifications on the subject. To put your trust entirely in the hands of others can be a mistake. Yes, take advice, listen to what they have to say, but listen to that niggling question in the back of your mind.

 The overriding factor of decision making should be how will this affect me. Is this the best option for me. And will I be able to deal with the consequences should it not work out well. There is always the option of casting fate to the wind and forging blindly ahead. It's easy to ignore the niggling doubts and go with the flow. Safety in numbers eh!. I'll do what they are doing, must be alright. They must know what they are doing, so I'll follow them. It's ok to do that, if that's what you feel comfortable about. But the bottom line is, if you screw up you learn from it, change direction and vow never to do that again. 

Have a good weekend. Toodle pip.   ilona

14 comments:

  1. I truly think you feel safe walking the paths near to your home in the dark.i think you walk these routes very often so they do not cause you any worrys.i walk home from work at 8 m daily.i know the area very well and I don't really ever feel worried about it.there aren't many people about or cars but it feels safe enough to me.your right make your own risk assessment and carry torch phone etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo. I find that walking the same route many times leaves an imprint on my mind. I notice areas that I could easily divert to, if needed. One should always look for escape routes.

      Delete
  2. People tend to over estimate the level of personal risk. People read about the person who was attacked, they don’t read about the millions of people who were not attacked. In general people are very bad an accurately assessing the level of risk. There is a lot of research on this subject, it is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bobbi. Good points you make. Random attacks on strangers are fairly rare. More people are attacked by someone they already know. As for falling and hurting oneself, there are accidents but I am careful where I put my feet. I am well aware that if I break a bone it will be very difficult to repair it. Stay alert, wear good boots.

      Delete
  3. You’re absolutely right about making a risk assessment and in my opinion far too many people have become risk averse and the words ‘for your safety’ are bandied about too regularly.

    I could tell what time of day it was from the fading light in the video and wouldn’t have felt there was any risk as you know the area well. I’d also feel more confident walking about in a rural area in the dark than in an inner city area.

    I noted that many of the comments were about you ‘having a fall’ Interesting that older people have a fall whereas younger people fall over.

    Since the plandemic I feel older adults are seen as frail and vulnerable regardless of their level and of health and fitness. The government slogan we’ve got to protect granny ‘ has certainly contributed to this attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello theboatgal. That phrase, 'for your safety' really grates on me. It was used relentlessly to bully people into taking a certain treatment, and make them feel guilty if they didn't. If everyone looked out for themselves, protected themselves, it would drastically cut down the incidents of accidents.

      Older people do seem to be having quite a few falls. I hear of this happening every day. I know that my reflexes are not as quick as they used to be, therefore I take my time with every physical task I do. I don't rush about. I have slowed up a lot in the last ten years.

      I take your point about how the elderly are portrayed in the media. The word 'vulnerable' is bandied about a lot. Granny is a term used to give the impression that the person is at deaths door because they are of the older generation. In truth there are a lot of younger grannies in their thirties and forties. I know one for sure. She is lovely, young looking, very pretty, and a granny.

      Giving people labels is a way of categorising them. Calling older people frail is an insult to their intelligence. Hopefully I may only become frail when I am drawing my last breath.

      Delete
  4. I think this was a very good way to explain risk assessment. Your writing style is easy to understand. Thanks! Debby from Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ilona.
    I just found this on YouTube and thought you might enjoy it.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/kQy53hcbLOk?si=IcwXVM1IsrZ2qoH6
    Love your blog, your spirit, and your wise words. Love the cats, unfortunately I am allergic or I would have a couple.
    Best regards
    Ann Tyler, Berwick upon Tweed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann. That made me smile, it was lovely. The look of concentration on the little boys face was heartwarming.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From reading your blog for years and watching your YouTube I know you carefully think things out. You are not one to jump into things without having a plan. Keep on keeping on mother!!! I am sure others are learning from your example. 🤗🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tammy. My brain has slowed up a lot in the last few years. I recognise that I am not as nimble as I used to be. I take this into consideration when planning what I am going to do next.

      Delete
  8. I have had a gut feeling occasionally in the daytime and don't hang around - and eating out I won't risk because I don't want to risk it x

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.