Sunday 28 April 2024

Change of plan.

Sunday morning. I was supposed to be out all weekend in the car. I had a plan. Go to Sheffield, use the Park and Ride, and visit the Cathedral where there was an arts and crafts event. Then drive to the Derbyshire Peak District and go for a walk in the hills. 
It didn't turn out like that. For a start I had difficulty getting out of Scunthorpe. The M180 was closed between junctions 2 and 3, so all the traffic was backed up as everyone headed for the nearby A18 which runs parallel to the motorway. Total chaos as people needed to cross the river, and there are only two points where you can do that. The motorway, or Keadby Bridge. 
I wasn't aware of this closure, maybe I should listen to local news. So, I am not going to get to Sheffield this way, which should in theory be a one hour journey. I will go the scenic route which is a massive diversion. I may not get to Sheffield at all, but never mind, I have a plan B. As the day progressed I changed my mind several times, as this route was blighted with weekend traffic and roadworks.  Perhaps I will need a plan C, or D, or even plan Z. 
I got on the motorway at Rotherham, not far now, but time was getting on and the event was due to close at about 4pm. I got off the motorway and went down the Parkway heading for the city centre. I hit heavy traffic again, queuing all the way to the roundabout at the bottom. 
I saw a sign for Ring Road. At that point I decided to abandon the Cathedral visit. I went up the slip road and saw a sign for Bakewell. That will do, it's a nice town. I will go straight to Derbyshire. 
By this time I needed a break. I recognised some of my surroundings, I have been down this road before. The A621 has some big posh houses on the right hand side. I'm sure the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet is somewhere around here. And there it was. I came here in the 1980's driving a bus load of school kids on a day out history visit. I always thought I might come back one day. 
Cameras at the ready I took photo's and recorded a video. I have checked the video and it isn't very good. The noise of the passing traffic spoils it, and it is a bit wobbly due to the uneven surface. I have decided not to publish it. But if you want to see a video try this one.  
Anyway, here are the photo's. 


























Abbeydale is a lot like a smaller version of The Black Country Museum, and Beamish. 

It closed at 4pm so on with the journey into Derbyshire. I arrived in Bakewell and started to look for a parkup. The place was absolutely heaving with cars and people. The car park close to the town was rammed full, with a queue of people waiting to pay at the machine. I headed for another car park. It was big with plenty of space. Checking the sign, I don't mind paying, BUT, no overnighters and no sleeping in vehicles. How mean is that, when the streets are chocablock with cars. I drove down a few streets looking for a quiet spot, nothing. 

At that point I said, sod it, I am going home. The reason why Bakewell was so busy is they had an outdoor craft market on. Now I know not to go to touristy places at the weekend in the summer.

As I wake up this morning I am glad I am in my house. It is pouring with rain. I wouldn't have got any walking done if I was in my car. Fed up of this weather. 

I could actually go to a Craft Event at the Lincolnshire Showground today, but after that mammoth journey yesterday, I can't be bothered. 

Onward and upward, eh! Tomorrow is another day. I am now going to make a lovely cooked breakfast. Enjoy your Sunday. Toodle pip.   ilona

2 comments:

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.