Wednesday 17 April 2024

Well dodgy.

Morocco cropped up on my news feed this morning.
Brits have been issued updated travel advice if they expected to visit Egypt or Morocco in the wake of serious events in the Middle East this weekend.
This reminded me of an incident that happened many years ago. I had a spell of freelance driving, self employed, driving for anyone who wanted to hire me. I had a phone call from someone offering me work. The job was to drive a coach to Morocco, deliver it, and they would fly me back. Sounds interesting I thought. Scary but I like a challenge. 
I asked around some experienced continental drivers for advice. Several phone calls later with the man who offered me the job, and I said yes, I would do it. 
It was getting close to the date to leave and I was having doubts. Something didn't seem right. What if they didn't fly me back and I was stranded. What if I was hijacked and the coach stolen. What if I was being set up. Up to that point I hadn't driven abroad before so was not familiar with going through borders, and customs, and suchlike. 
A week before the due departure date I decided it was going to be too risky. I rang the man and said I wouldn't do it. Didn't give a reason, just said no thanks. He was mighty angry, said I was wasting his time. I had enough UK work anyway to keep me going, and forgot all about Morocco.
Fast forward a year or so later. I had a phone call from someone saying they were from Customs and Excise, and could they come and interview me and ask some questions. Straight away I knew what it was going to be about. Two people came to my house, a man and a woman. I was right, it was about the Moroccan job. It was indeed dodgy. They couldn't give me specific details of their investigation, but it had to be about drugs. 
Luckily I was writing a diary at that time.  I wrote down everything that was said in the phone calls. Plus the most important bit of information, that I had turned the job down. The last thing they said was that I was right to refuse the job. I heard no more about it. 
I trust my own instincts, well most of the time. We can all do daft things, and it's ok to be wise after the event. But if something doesn't feel right, then it isn't right. 
Off to Coffee Morning now. The sun is shining. The weather forecast says snow is on it's way, but they have been saying that for a while now. I don't believe them
Catch ya later. Toodle pip.   ilona 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.