Friday 5 April 2024

Smiling.

There is no reason for me to go to the town centre. Half the shops are closed, and the others are mostly  Turkish barbers, vape shops, cheap and tacky bargain stores, get your nails polished, eating establishments, some sit in and some takeaway. I will probably only go in the future to visit the 20 21 Arts centre. There is a new building going up which will be shops, restaurants, offices, and apartments. I might have a look at that when it is finished and open. 
Yesterday I browsed the gift shop at the Arts Centre. Some lovely things in there. Not that I needed anything. I mentioned the pretty embroidered hoops to Nikki, how lovely they are. She told me a little story behind them. An elderly lady of 80 something made them. She asked if they could go in the shop because the sales will be donated to charity. I thought that was a kind thing to do. The lady obviously gets pleasure from making them
Last week one of them was sold, and Nikki contacted the lady to tell her the good news. She was so pleased. Well that was a cue for me to pick one up and say, I'll buy this one. Now tell the lady that another one has been sold. I imagine the smile on the ladies face as she receives more good news. 
 



My shopping habits have changed. I still get my food from Aldi, because it's a small store and I know a lot of the staff, and they are always very pleasant to me and say hello. They didn't bother me when I was maskless, and they cancelled a parking fee for me when I was four minutes over the time. I get cat food and other bits and bobs from Home Bargains and the Range, because they are a short drive away, ten minutes. On that same retail park there are two charity shops which I can browse if I want to. 

I am now choosing to support local businesses. The beer and cider shop at the Humber Bridge. The farm shop in the next village. A local small family business, garden centre. The local Post Office. And I will buy arts and crafts from the people who make them. There are lots of ways to support local businesses and the community. I am now on a mission to make people smile. 

The weather is going from one extreme to another here. Started off sunny, then the black clouds came over and dumped a ton of wet stuff. The garden is too wet now to do any work in it. The sun has come out again so I might as well go out. 

Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.