Saturday 6 April 2024

The 'c' word

 I didn't reply to John's post on Thursday, he can say whatever he likes on his blog. I must say I was a bit disappointed that he used it in the title. The main purpose of the post was mainly lost because the 'c' word ended up being the main focus which people picked up on. A good way to gain attention I suppose. 

Swearing does have a purpose, it can be used to reinforce a point. I find the biggest impact of using bad language can be found in comedy, we have all heard of Chubby Brown. Most know what is going to come out of Chubby's mouth so we can watch or walk away. John is known to use colourful language, some of it is funny.

I am guilty of using a few choice words myself. In the early days of driving I often spewed out a few expletives to those who expressed their displeasure that a woman can actually do the same job as them. I had to fight my corner. I actually came close to being a man, such was my desire to fit in. Eventually I realised my mistake. I didn't have to compete with them, I just had to do the job to the best of my ability. 

I never used the 'c' word though. Fuck is used all the time now, it's become mainstream, but I feel c**t crosses the line of decency. I see it as an insult to the female gender. It is an expression of anger and frustration. It is used to hit back against anything and anyone that the speaker, or writer, is unable to come to terms with in their own mind, so they hit out. 

I recently had a very insulting comment from an angry person. Just two words, but it hit me between the eyes. I was called a 'vicious c**t'. No explanation as to how the person came to this conclusion. Immediately deleted of course. Someone obviously very angry with me. They don't know me. They don't know the person I am behind this keyboard. Luckily I am mature enough now to recognise that a lot of people are somewhat lost in this topsy turvy world. The only way they know how to deal with it is to lash out with verbal insults. 

Yes, mental health is a big problem at the moment, and it's going to get worse. There is a lot to be said for, 'you can't change how people behave, but you can change how you deal with it'. 

Have a good weekend. Go outside if the sun is shining. Toodle pip.   ilona

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.