Tuesday 31 July 2018

I'm getting a new hearing aid

I didn't realize it but it's two years since I went to the Audiology department to have my hearing aid re-tubed. No wonder it's whistling at me, it's full of gunk. I never like going to the drop in service because I have to sit around for ages in a queue, don't like hospitals full stop. When I rang up I was pleased when they said they no longer do the drop in service, everyone has to make an appointment. That suits me better.

This morning I was in and out in fifteen minutes. The nice young lady re tubed the aid for me, and said she will set the wheels in motion to get me a new one, and I'll have a fresh hearing test because it's ages since I last had one. Sounds good to me.

I parked near Sainsbury's and walked to the hospital, so when I came back to the car I picked up a basket and had a look around the store, mainly to spy on prices, and if by any chance there was some good deals, or reductions. No such luck, the prices are still higher than what I pay in Tesco and Aldi. I did buy a couple of boxes of their own label cat food pouches though for the visiting cats. By the way, our Sainsbury's now have cameras on the car park, so I parked on the road opposite. Private parking companies are a pain, always be aware where you park. They take a photo of your registration plate when you enter the car park, and when you leave. Don't get caught out, if you are only a few minutes over your time they send you a letter demanding £70 or thereabouts.

As I was out and about I went to Poundstretcher to stock up on dry cat food. It's still £1 a bag, so I got 15 bags. That will last a while. I expect the price will increase eventually, other shops sell it for £3.50 - £4.00 a bag.

As I was close to town I had a trip to the bank to withdraw cash, and a quick look in PoundWorld, to see if their closing down sale was still on. I found a lot of empty shelves and a few mainly seasonal items left. I bought two packs of Christmas baubles for 30p each. They will look nice on my bushes in the front garden, ha ha. I also bought a steel retractable tape measure for 40p as mine is broken and stuck together with sellotape.

Aldi is close by so I did my shopping there.

We had rain overnight, now it's sunny again. I have a key to water up a friends garden while she is away. If it keeps on raining a bit every day, or night, I won't have to do it.

Don't forget what day it is tomorrow. It's the first of August, check in day for the Walking Group. I am a few miles short again, ooops. Lets us know how you are doing. Hasta la vista. ilona

10 comments:

  1. I have hearing aids too, still have the original ones. The drop in service here has about a 15 minute wait, which I don't mind. I don't like the creepy Big Brother aspect of the cameras that see where you are. And sending a huge fine for overstaying, yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you planning to stockpile anything in preparation for Brexit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, definitely not. I don't believe a word of it, scaremongering to make people spend more.

      Delete
    2. Love this question Ilona. Being a proper Norfolk country girl you always have a well stocked cupboard anyway....my grandmother taught me that just in case the vicar comes to tea!!

      Delete
  3. When I got my hearing aids I was given the wires to clean the tubes. Told how to clean the things that go in your ears. Our drop in there is no wait, it is in our town library. I get batteries from the local hospital. We just phone for replacements to be sent. But then this is Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to walk across the road to our medical centre to get new batteries. I wasn't given anything to clean mine with.

      Delete
  4. Hi Ilona
    I'm getting to the point where I may need a hearing aid, and since I don't know anyone who's had one, I thought I'd ask you for some basic advice. There are many brands available here in the U.S., but the technicalities are a bit confusing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Vera in Sheboygan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, I can't help you with the technicalities of hearing aids. The National Health Service provides me with one free of charge and I get no say in which type, I have to accept what they give me. Perhaps some of our USA readers might have some ideas for you.

      Delete
  5. Those parking companies are every where in Leicester.The supermarkets,pubs,even if you want to go for a meal or watch a film...they are there.They must rake in millions from people who are not aware of them because they are in car parks that had always been free.One guy visited a supermarket in the morning at 11am..realised he had forgot something and went back at 3pm..and got a ticket through the post.Although I was pleased with my postal delivery a couple of days ago...It was some peas for planting in the garden from the Freebi sites!.Who would have thought that the 17 year old me who used to dance in hot pants and platform boots in a cage..would get over excited about getting some free peas through the post!,lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ilona, I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 29 due to genetic fault that causes deafness in adulthood. Luckily I learned to speak when I was young. Anyway, I just wanted to say that the audiologist should teach you how to re tube and clean your aids by yourself. I've always done my own, hooks and tubes, it's really easy, you just need a good sharp pair of small scissors and tweezers.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.