Sunday 8 July 2018

This could be the start of something big.

Hello. We had some clouds come over this afternoon which brought with them a light breeze. I thought we might have some rain so I went for my usual walk just in case it tipped it down. I was half way round and the clouds cleared and the wind dropped, and I was boiling hot again. I am not getting on very well with the heat, quick to run indoors where it's a bit cooler. 
A new project has begun. I bought this dooodaaah thingymajig from a charity shop for £1 a couple of weeks ago, I had to ask what it is for. Apparently it's to hang your scarves, belts, necklaces and accessories on. It's made of metal with a velvety cover. I like the tree shape and thought I might colour it, or add fabric, or wrap it with wool, or something like that. 
Yesterday I had an idea, use it as a template first, then later maybe do something else with it. I drew the outline on a large piece of paper, I used the back of a cheap print out of an old frame. Then draw the outlines of the holes onto cardboard and cut them out.

Next find pieces of colourful cotton fabric, preferably with a floral pattern, and iron on that vilene stuff to stabilize it.

And use the cardboard templates to cut out the shapes.

Next trace the tree shape using chalk, onto a piece of green snooker table baize, thank you Janet for that, and cut it out.

Place thingymabob on the top and put the spots in place to see how it looks. Now I have to sew them all on. I'm doing blanket stitch with matching colour cotton. I already have a backing, something I started about six months ago but didn't get round to doing any more. It's going to look good.


Two punnets of strawberries, minus some that I ate, 20p each, in the freezer.

I noticed the other day that when the sun goes down at the front of the house it shines between the houses and lights up parts of the back garden. From a distance it looks like the sequins on the decorated flowers are little sparkling lights.


I need to wash up now and clean the kitchen. Clever me burnt a pan while I was steaming the veg, I didn't put enough water in it. Will I ever get the hang of this cooking and housework lark, ha ha. I'll do it now because there is hot water in the tank left over from an earlier bath I had. Might as well use it up.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

13 comments:

  1. Im not happy with this heat either Ilona. It makes me feel tired when I should be doing things . Love your thingummy jig xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I have 40 winks in the afternoon, shouldn't need to do that, too chuffin hot, no fresh air.

      Delete
  2. You have made good use of that scarf hanger!.It looks lovely.The heat is really getting to me now aswell,I keep going sleep when I should be doing things!I sat under my sun umbrella reading my bargain 20p Country Life mags this morning...then came in home and slept for 4 hours!I bet that your sparkly flowers look lovely in the dark.I sprayed some of my bottle end flowers metalic gold and they have a glow about them in the dark aswell.I must crack on with things tomorrow.My cat flap has somehow stopped working as it should so Im going to see if I can fix it before having to splash out on a new one!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you cover the burned spot with water and add a little dish-soap. Then heat the pan on the stove while using a wooden spoon to scrap the bottom, all the burned on food will come off and it will look good as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip. I soaked it in water and vinegar, with the steamer thingy inside. All came up shiny like new.

      Delete
    2. Another tip for burnt pans is: an inch of water in the burnt pan plus a tablespoon of washing powder and heat on the hob (simmering) for 5 minutes. This works - I've done it. I don't use washing powder as I don't like it and use laundry pouches instead but the washing powder in the back of the cupboard has come in handy for burnt pans!

      Delete
    3. Another tip to make your pans sparkle and remove burnt on stuff, is to boil them up with chopped up rhubarb and water. One way of using the tough old rhubarb.

      Delete
  4. Hello Ilona. Your blog is great & I love what you create & upcycle. I shall be back for a longer look when time allows - I have saved you to my favourites! Thank you for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me. Julie Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Julie. I was looking around for some new blogs and found yours. I like it.

      Delete
  5. Don't you findthe strawberries go completely mushy when frozen and then thawed? How do you use them then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They go a bit mushy but I don't care, they are still strawberries. I make porridge in the microwave, half way through the process I add frozen fruit, then pop it back in for 30 seconds. I am using frozen berries a lot more now, convenient and sometimes cheaper than fresh. I also put frozen fruit in smoothies.

      Delete
  6. You have some brilliant ideas - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.