I am all for utilising what I already have before I go out and spend some money. My sewing boxes are two empty Bran Flake boxes, and one contact lens box. I finished wearing contact lenses fifteen years ago so you can tell how old that box is. I cut them around three sides to make a lid, simple.
The cardboard isn't very strong so they don't hold their shape very well when stuffed with loads of cotton reels. Yes I have quite a lot of cotton, my friend gave them to me when she was emptying her mother in laws house. It's good to have lots of colours, you never know when you might need them. Anyway, it's about time I thought of a better way to store them.
I have a couple of these foolscap box files, left over from my business. They are lying around doing nothing so I might as well put them to good use. They are well made and strong, perfect for the job. First I took out the plastic clip.
I did think about covering it in fabric, or not bothering to cover it at all, but I decided to paint it. I have lots of little sample pots of silk emulsion paint, bought from Woolworths the day before they closed, at four pence each. I have painted on cardboard before with these and they cover quite well.
I chose a lilac colour, and gave the box two coats. I didn't paint the inside or the bottom, and used a small brush to make neat edges.
One finished box. I thought about adding some stencilling to the lid in a different colour, but couldn't think which design to use. I might do that later.
That is most of the cotton, I'll paint another box to accommodate the rest. See how everything fits nicely.
Two margarine tubs wouldn't fit in the space, so I cut one of them down, pushed one half inside the other, and sellotaped them together.