Sunday 18 October 2015

Add a few beads

Hello. The weather has been a bit dull today, overcast but dry. I have ventured out into the garden, done some hedge trimming and filled the garden waste bin ready for collection tomorrow. I've got housework that needs to be done, but as usual can't find any enthusiasm for it. I just do enough to keep on top of it. I'd rather be sewing.
Here are my makes. Remember the car boot earrings I bought last week, 25p a pair. I have turned one into a tree decoration. Put it on a turquoise backing and added red beads and red and silver sequins. I got the backing from the Scrapstore, it's like a woven stiff fabric, a bit like what they make window blinds from. I got lots of small sample pieces in different colours. 
I used iron on bondaweb to stick the back and front together after I put the embellishments on. 

Next, I fancied making a fairy, or is it an angel, they both have wings. The white felt I used is virtually covered by beads and trimmings. The wings are covered with sparkly florists ribbon. 
I stitched the two pieces together with white thread, and added a little stuffing.

It would look nice hanging on a tree. 
I bought a huge curtain from the Scrapstore for £1, it's been washed, and dried outside, now it's ready for cutting up into bag size pieces. A job for tonight when I come back from a Rocky walk. He is crashed out beside me, having stuffed his face with a tasty dinner. I'll give him ten minutes or so to sleep it off, ha ha.
Toodle pip

16 comments:

  1. Those are so good Ilona. I am glad that you enjoy doing this as it is a perfect activity for winter and you can sell them to help the cats. Make an angel/fairy which looks like you!
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilona , you really are creative. it would never have crossed my mind to use an earing in that way. brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just do enough (housework) to keep on top of it. I'd rather be sewing.

    ha ha me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly have an eye for upcycling things. I would never have thought of earings in that way. You've made me look at things in a different way. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hang all kinds of jewelry on my tree! my ficus tree stands in for a Christmas one. And you can use a single earring as a nice pin. If it's for pierced ears, that is. Just stab it through the lapel and secure it in back with the finding you use for attaching it to your ear. Or use a couple of them, mismatched, and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering how you would use the earrings. I love what you have done with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two great projects, the angel is especially charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! Another example of how making Christmas special doesn't need to cost hardly anything, and I think hand made decorations are more likely to be kept in the family for sentimental reasons than just chucked out because the colour is 'wrong' for this years theme. We are definitely going to get crafty this Christmas - apologies for mentioning the C word in October! Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such fun ornaments for your tree. Someone said yesterday that there are only 10 more Fridays until Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have made a lovely job of these Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic bit of upcycling - I wish I was so creative!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello.Gosh Ilona,they turned out so nice.You have a knack for creating unique lovely things.My aunt is like that too,seeing potential and beauty in unllikely items.Lovely!We've had lots of blustery stormy weather here and I brought in the feverfew to put in the freezer and geraniums and begonias I am overwintering inside.Also brought in the last of the heirloom tomatoes and covered tendered plants with pots to protect them over the winter.The storage/bedroom is waiting for me but I am not enthusiastic at all about it.Time to get off my keester and get it done!I understand your feelings re:household chores very much.Warmest regards,D.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.