Monday 12 October 2015

How many other uses does it have?

Hello. Has anyone else got bottles of lotions and potions in their bathroom cabinet they no longer use? I gave up using conditioner on my hair ages ago. It takes too much faffing about, wash then rinse, condition and rinse again, several times until the water runs clear. I now skip the faff, and towel dry after rinsing the shampoo off. 
So, what to do with these? The VO5 I found in a skip a couple of years ago, and the Tea Tree, I must have had it about ten years, probably longer. I'm sick of seeing them and want them gone, but I'm not chucking them out, I'm finding other uses for them. 
Last night I had a long soak in the bath, when it came to scrubbing myself clean, I didn't reach for the soap or the creamy body wash, I applied a squirt of conditioner onto the rough side of my sponge, and used that. It worked perfectly fine.

This morning I washed my hair, don't like going to bed with wet hair, and the hairdryer is only for use in emergencies. I always let my hair dry naturally. I skipped the shampoo stage, and gave it a scrub with conditioner. My hair is clean and soft.

It got me thinking of other uses for it. I read somewhere that you can use it instead of soap when you shave your legs, and it leaves them silky soft. I am not about to try that, I don't shave my legs, not much point when I only wear trousers. And even if I wear shorts, where's the harm in a few hairs sprouting out above my socks.

Another idea is that any left over and unwanted conditioner could be used to refill a pump action hand wash bottle. Or perhaps a spoonful could be put into a washing machine as a clothes and bedding conditioner. Maybe it could be diluted and put into a spray bottle and used to clean the bathroom sink, and wipe around the toilet and bath. There must be other uses, anyone any ideas of their own? Being frugal is about using up what you already have before buying new.

Once these two bottles are empty I won't be buying any more conditioner. If I find any in a skip I will rescue it, or if someone gives me a bottle they no longer want, I would happily find a use for it.

Crafty pictures tomorrow. Thanks for popping in. Toodle pip

16 comments:

  1. There are several sites for uses of conditioner, and I found this one pretty interesting: https://savingstar.com/blog/2013/05/12-un-hair-related-uses-for-conditioner/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't be bothered with the faff of conditioner either so any useful uses would be greatly received.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilona I love your blog, you are so resourceful, your blog is inspirational xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes great washer liquid and fabric conditioner, well that's what happens with the dozens of inch in the bottom bottles the big kids leave in the bathroom......very good for towels...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use hair condition for rinsing clothes when on cycle trips

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can wash your hands with shampoo (dilute it down with a drop of water if you wish) - it is good for getting your nails clean. I don't have a washing machine and so wash my clothes by hand - I often wash clothing with shampoo. Also dunk your hairbrushes/combs in shampooey water - gets them clean. I've also used shampoo to get marks off carpet or curtains. I never use conditioner - I only wash my hair rarely and the natural oils in my hair serves as a natural conditioner. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say ......put diluted shampoo in the loo bowl - it froths up nicely if you flush (be careful how many times you flush - your water bill will add up if you do it willy-nilly). Also, put some shampoo in a cloth and clean the bathroom sink. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant - you have become a co-washer like me. Well I don't conditioner wash all the time, but every now and then when my hair is feeling dry, or I when I am trying to get my colour to last a bit longer. If you can't be bothered with conditioning your hair, you can do yourself a leave-in conditioner by putting a blob of conditioner into a spray bottle and adding water and shaking before use. Or if you can't be bothered to do that - just a small amount rubbed through your hands and then run through the hair (avoiding the scalp) would make your hair shiny. You can also use conditioner on freshly washed paint brushes to stop them stiffening up in between uses. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That paint brush idea is very clever. JanF

      Delete
  9. How about mixing some conditioner with your shampoo to make a two in one.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  10. If your latest handknit is a bit prickly, a quick soak in water+hair conditioner is much better than using fabric softener - after all,wool is hair! Result - soft, comfortable knitted things.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could try sometimes washing your hair with water only. I do this and it works fine although I do use shampoo occasionally but only use a little. I've found my hair is a lot better this way and less chemicals down the drain or in the canal when I'm on my boat. Kristel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi.I do what Debbie writes and use it after towel drying shampooed hair.Just a little dispersed by hand through my longish hair makes it tangle free and I leave it in,no rinsing.Am actually a furry monkey and find conditioner great for shaving my legs.Also have used it for delicate handwashing with shampoo and to soften our dog's coat when bathing her.(natural ingredients won't harm her)There is a shelf life to products and I use them up.For bristly hair in the eyebrows it is very effective just smoothed on for an hour or so,then rinsed.(it's a vanity -aging thing-tee-hee)Anything that is perfectly good,but not used by me due to allergic reaction etc.I end up giving away or donating.It's fun reading all the different uses by your visitors.Some very clever ducks there.Bye again,D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dont use it to clean your hands; it is not a wetting agent like soap. I dont use conditioner and it wont clean your hair although it might conditioner it and I can see that it might be good for shaving legs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I buy very cheap bubble bath from Aldi and refill my soap dispensers (also use any bubble bath that's either given as presents or won in a raffle) - works a treat!
    Suzy S

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just watched a yootube vid on how to use up unwanted conditioner. A couple of things that I had not thought of; putting some in your bath water to moisturise your skin and cleaning stainless steel appliances or polishing shiny tiles. Debbie.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.