Friday 2 October 2015

Walking to stay fit

Hello. Twas such a lovely day today so I packed a couple of sandwiches, filled a bottle with diluted fruit juice, and put a banana in my little day rucksack, and off I went. Rocky was looked after by Janet, the walk was going to be too long for his little old legs, and taking the pushchair was not going to work. I couldn't be bothered to drive anywhere, so I stayed local. It's ages since I last walked in my corner of North Lincolnshire, so it was about time I rediscovered my local area. 
It was very misty when I set off down the footpath high above the River Trent. The bushes were covered in hundreds of spider webs, all wet from the mist. 
There should be good views across to Yorkshire from here. Not this morning, can't see a chuffin thing. The pylons appear to be floating in mid air, it looked very eerie.


At last the sun broke through and cast shadows across the path ahead, strewn with Autumn leaves.

I reached the first village in just under an hour, and walked past this cottage on my way to the Tea Room. Bought a bar of chocolate because I wanted to use the toilet to change into my shorts. A friend of mine was in there, supping tea and scoffing cake. Had a quick chat and went on my way. 
Aha, at last the mist has lifted and there are some nice views. Now I can see Yorkshire.


I left the river and came inland down a long track. looks like the harvest is all in now.

Just the stubble left on this field. Thank goodness they don't burn it any more. Now it's just ploughed back into the ground. It was lovely and peaceful, surrounded by big open spaces, hardly any sound at all. Not a soul about. 
The whole end of this house was covered in red leaves. looks very pretty but it must play havoc with the bricks and mortar.

 I found a church, but it didn't have a bench to sit on for lunch. Not to worry, I sat down in the graveyard on a lump of concrete.

I have seen this bench before, ages ago. It's half way along the edge of a very big field. Looks as though someone is looking after it. The grass has been mowed, and the planters have little bushes in them. There's cut flowers as well. A nice memorial for a loved one.
Oooh, a field of sun flowers, how nice.

Six and a half hours after I set off, I arrived back. Passed through five villages, and 13 and a half miles walked in the glorious sunshine. Just what I needed to stop my legs from seizing up.

It's the weekend again. I hope you have a good one. Catch you soon.
Toodle pip

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing such lovely photos' I was working today but hopw to get out cycling tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us on another walk! I love your pictures and narrative, it makes me feel like I'm right there.

    Regarding the mayonnaise squeeze jars from a few posts ago... when I have a squirt bottle of mustard I usually pour a little vinegar, agave syrup and spices into the bottle after I've squeezed out all I can. A quick shake and it becomes a tasty salad dressing. A similar idea might work for the dregs of your mayonnaise as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, happy wanderer!Today read of your walk and enjoyed the beautiful photos very much.I love that you just get on with it and follow your heart.You covered a lot of miles today.I hope your stamina and sense of adventure continue for many,many years to come.Thank you for sharing,D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your capacity for sustained walking always impressed me. And thanks for remembering to bring us along with pix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Illona
    I think you would love an area here we call the rame penisula. The walk from the crem il ferry up towards ebcombe (a very slight bu pretty detor)back along the coast line and on towards kingsands is beautifu particularly when the dafodils are out. Loved the pictures you shared I have an iffy knee at the mo and havent done anything for a very long time well that and life doing what it does interupting well life lol. thanks for sharing.
    Rachel
    the first video clip is very near where I am and ny viw from our bedroom window it mount Edgecombe house just over the roof tops. the gardens are free and plymouth has a youth hostle. there are also buses to take you to some spots.

    http://www.looeguide.co.uk/around-the-area/rame

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a really lovely walk. Lovely pictures, the mist does look eerie indeed. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in such a lovely area..what a blessing. Give Rocky a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous day! Loved tagging along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You surely weren't going to eat in the church - A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would eat in a church if it was raining, nothing wrong with that. A lot of churches serve drinks and snacks now, to encourage people to come inside. The church in my village opens on a Saturday morning offering tea and coffee and biscuits. They also host concerts from traveling musical groups. Churches are there for the community, to be used in whatever way they think fit. You can even stay overnight in some churches.

      Delete
  11. Makes our 2.8 miles sound pathetic!
    Love the floating pylon picture

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures from your walk. Interesting comments on the churches, and I agree about the ivy vines that are covering the outside wall.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the kind of get-up-and-go walking I used to enjoy. You go, Ilona!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must get in more walking. How do you measure your distance? Pedometer ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I go to Bikehike. Enter the start place, post code or name of town/village in the box, toggle map sizes so the OS map is bigger and on the right hand side of the screen, then click on start place and click all along the route you have taken till you get to the end. It adds it up automatically and gives a total.

      http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

      Delete
    2. Great website - thank you for this information! I use a Garmin but if I ever go out without it then this website will be really useful, easier to use than my husband's OS Memory map that he's got on the computer. This is my new thing I've learnt today!

      Delete
  15. The ivy looms beautiful but create so much damp problems inside, I love the sunflowers beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the picture and narrative from your walks. I like to walk for exercise as well, but despite the glorious fall colour and blue skies here, I am restricted to walking on my treadmill until the snow comes and stays...We have a full grown grizzly bear hovering about, as well as a black bear sow, and her three little cubs. Not a good time to be out and about. Once the snow comes they will hibernate. We live in northern British Columbia, Canada, and the bush is all around us. The bears are hanging around for the dried berries from a bumper crop of wild bushes, and of course, the pickings from the odd, crab apple tree. Mary Jane in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it safe to walk alone like this? Well obviously nothing tragic happened to you but I was just wondering:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be joining you soon metaphorically speaking. I'm getting a pair of hiking boots & waterproof trousers for my birthday (on Saturday) then I'll be kitted out properly for all weather walking which I used to love. I'm really looking forward to getting out and about again for misty walkies, you can virtually smell autumn in the air now. Big hugs to Rocky and that bed bandit Heidi, she's looking well.

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.